OT: Berkeley

If your will wasn't written in Simplified Chinese they wouldn't have understood what you were offering, anyway.

Reply to
bitrex

You really should put some ice on that butthurt.

Reply to
tom

Are you mentally ill? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

And cite something other than rags with a rating lower than The National Enquirer.

Numerous claims of Trump supporters committing such acts have been found to be falsified, and several have been fined for filing a false police report... particularly a large number of young Muslim "ladies".

Not to say that some haven't occurred... I've occasionally had urges for which I would go to the pen... but I would have been happy >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Given a giant pool of applicants, Starbucks can use the degree thing as a sort of IQ and attention-span and just-follow-orders qualification. Why not?

I just met with some customers and had the misfortune to do it at a Starbucks. I got a latte to be sociable. There was no sugar. I asked an employee guy about that, and he snarled "no sugar". Sorry I annoyed him.

The federal loan program, and the silly idea that everyone should go to college, has fueled the astonishing ramp-up of tuitions. And the dozens of brainless degree programs, like sociology and arts. Even EEs can get a quarter-million-dollar degree and not know much about electricity.

I worked while I was in college, paid for tuition and an apartment and a British sports car. Not many people could manage that now.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We've always been somewhat bemused by the /religious/ adherence to the written constitution.

There are advantages to not having a written constitution, in particular "it" can evolve naturally as understanding and circumstances change.

OTOH, it has the disadvantage in that sometimes it is invented on the fly. We've seen the consequences of that in Brexit where the government asserted that it had the right to leave the EU. A /private/ prosecution caused the judges to slap down the government and state categorically that parliament had that sovereign power (unlike the sovereign :) ).

Now all we need is an opposition that does its job, i.e. to _oppose_, not to dither and waffle.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It was a joke about the fact that MIT's student body is something like

35% Asian these days.
Reply to
bitrex

Phil, We'll just have to disagree about the last eight years. (I so wish Obama and Boehner had been able to do the "grand bargain". But it didn't happen for lotsa reasons. I don't want to partition blame, 50/50 seems reasonable) (I know, Boehner is one of the Rinos*.)

I feel slightly more left than right, but I don't fell at all totalitarian. I will certainly listen to you.... which hardly matter now. (I despise D's only slightly less than R's, oh how I dream of some party in the middle.)

George H.

*PH, I've never met you, but you strike me as one of the most decent men I know. .. so no offense. Plowing the drive way tonight, I was thinking about how republicans feel it's all right to call each other names, and once the name calling starts... (Democrats have been calling each other names for ages, so that doesn't matter. :^)

Reply to
George Herold

OMG yes! I hate this democratic notion that everyone needs to go to college. And now Cuomo wants to have the state pay for it! Costs are out of control! (says he who has two kids,

15 + 17 and lots of costs on the horizon....) If the R's can put up a "real" candidate for Gov of NY...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Just because you view those programs as having no merit, doesn't mean they actually have no merit, and ideally and certainly historically, there is a purpose to an education beyond simply learning your letters, figures, and how to clomp transistors together. Like say, being able to appreciate the arts (which is liberal indoctrination, I guess.)

What has fueled the astonishing ramp-up of tuitions is that a degree in something or other from a 4 year is essentially a requirement for even the most meager of "white collar" jobs. It's pay the entry fee or work Wal-Mart or the fry line for most people - not everyone is cut out to work a trade either, even if there was enough demand to support an entire nation of tradespeople.

Employeers know that employees saddled with crushing amounts of debt are going to be pretty submissive sla...I mean workers.

Awesome! But I'm not sure a time machine is a realistic proposal.

I don't put a lot of stock in folks who went to college, got a degree, and then turn around and tell everyone else "Nah nah it's silly you don't need to bother with that."

Suppose you were 20 today and didn't want to spend the money on college, and didn't have any great natural aptitude for engineering or science. How would you hack it? Remember - 10 million new plumbers or carpenters a year is not a realistic proposal.

I'm fairly familiar with the hustles available out there for people with no degree, given that I actually did grow up poor. My guess is that whatever it is it would land you on the welfare line pretty quick IRL.

Reply to
bitrex

It's not a "democratic notion", man! Employers _demand_ it! You think anyone really wants to sit around in a classroom for four or five years and study "communications" or anthropology? I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...

Reply to
bitrex

Ahh OK... (Look I don't want to start a gun discussion, but the wording of the 2nd amendment is confusing.) The constitution is a living document in that we can change it.

OK I'm not setting any fires, Trump and the R's need to bring along the middle, if they want anything permanent.

Boy that sounds a bit draconian, I think we should be all asked to interpret it to the best of our abilities... if you are the Prez or someone, you can get legal consul. (I'm not much into legal stuff.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

bitrex, fellow liberal weenie here, tone it down. I don't see any reason we can't bring manufacturing back.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What do we have that people want to buy that they can't get just as good and cheaper somewhere else?

Musicians I know have disparaged and derided Chinese-made gear like Behringer, for example, for a long time, but when I open one of their mixers up to check it out (not to repair as they've never needed any repairs except to replace pots worn by normal use) the quality seems to be the equal of anything Mackie is doing, and the value for the money is nuts.

I do drive an American designed and made electric car from Detroit, built by American workers, and powered by nuclear energy for the most part I'd guess (I live right down the street from a plant, Pilgrim, which is still operating for the moment.)

It's too bad that people are still throwing money at Toyota for the Prius when the Volt is a technically superior car in just about every way for hardly that much more money. Unfortunately, Chevrolet doesn't exactly have the reputation for quality that Toyota does. I think that reputation is undeserved now, but public opinion is public opinion.

Reply to
bitrex

Yes. It includes rules for amending itself. It does not say that its words may be freely interpreted as desired, or just ignored.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Trump might want to take it a bit easy on the Detroit automakers, as they seem to be one of the few industries that have products the Chinese are really interested in.

Get into a tariff-trade war with China and put 20k Detroit workers out of a job? Whoops! I wouldn't be so optimistic about 2020 then...

Reply to
bitrex

You mean like allowing Obamacare? Even a 24hr clock is right once a day.

Now you're just lying again.

Reply to
krw

A constitutional right to free speech is absolute. Without that, a govennment can define "hate speech" or "denying facts" and make such expression and writing a crime. That happens in Europe all the time.

The Constitution, specifically the Bill of Rights, protects us against government. It gives us rights that can't be legislated away. Strict interpretation is necessary, or the rights are worthless.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

more than just read the Constitution literally, but read it in the language in which it was written (whether it be the Constitution, BoR, or amandments written a hundred years later).

Or, when someone wants to say something they don't agree with.

If a law isn't enforced as it's written, rather interpreted based on the particulars of the case, the law is meaningless. It means what the judge says it means, which may be different today than yesterday, and watch out for tomorrow!

Reply to
krw

Then it means nothing. Why bother, if it can change on a whim?

Reply to
krw