OT: Berkeley

I've long said that the cure for the Snowflake/SJW takeover of our universities is simply to stop all state and federal funding, except, perhaps, awarding scholarships based strictly on merit examination.

Then the universities would have to operate like all other businesses... provide a product on which people are willing to spend their own money. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Crowd violence committed by who ??? Not the Trump supporters except on defense. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Well, we'll certainly disagree over the "it was all self-defense" issue, for sure.

Milo Yiannopoulos should be allowed to speak anywhere he likes - frankly I'm amused at by how the fact that he's both gay and on the right causes extreme cognitive-dissonance in just about everyone.

Reply to
bitrex

It's almost like Trump became a gay-rights activist for a moment with that tweet. Weird, huh?

Reply to
bitrex

Really?

Those are quotes by your fearful leader by the way. He thrives on instilling fear. Not exactly a beacon of hope is he? Except for his rich cronies.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Not me. I haven't noted the usual gay need to get in faces. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Yep, keeping Americans as dumb and poor as possible has been the right's game plan for a while now. We know. It's no great secret.

Reply to
bitrex

Cite some real violence. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

They might go to school and learn it wasn't the gays and teachers who sold them out to the Saudis and globalists.

Reply to
bitrex

Unfortunately now that the Democrats have broken down the old rules and had an eight-year field day, nobody is under any illusions. If they ever get back in power--their party is in such bad shape that it may not--they'll do all that stuff no matter what the current crop do.

I far preferred living in a society with mutual respect and willingness to listen, but the totalitarian left has made that impossible, and we all have to live with the new normal. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Quitting federally-financed student loans would be good too.

The number of people my kids know who have mortgaged their whole futures for a worthless, politicized arts degree (or BS BSes such as criminal justice) blows my mind.

Universities have become massively feather-bedded, bloated, unaccountable monstrosities.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Strict constructionists read the Constitution literally. It's like a mathematician accepting axioms. Congress becomes the theorems. The courts become the engineers.

Liberals tend to want to interpret the constitution by their ideas of justice, as a "living document" and not what the words say, and think the courts can make law. They riot and set fires when their interpretation isn't accepted.

Every federally elected person swears to defend and uphold the Constitution. If it's not interpreted literally, that oath is meaningless.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Property was damaged at Berkeley. Rocks and fireworks were thrown at buildings, cops, civilians. Nobody was arrested.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So whaddya do, considering it seems like even Starbucks requires an associates degree, these days?

Not everyone in the world is cut out to be an engineer or physicist. But the degree is not worthless, as outside the hard sciences a degree of some type has become your de-facto ticket to a white-collar job of some type, rather than the fast food line. Does every psychology BS become a psychologist or every anthropology major become an anthropologist? Of course not.

Maybe the idea now is that in place of funding college, we're going to return to manufacturing so instead of a "useless" arts degree, that former student can work in a trade or manufacturing. Real talk: those jobs are gone, man. They're never coming back. It's a fantasy.

The only thing cutting federal student loans will lead to is a much dumber young population, and spike the unemployment rate real good - two situations which are historically known to pay big dividends for the Right. I can see the attractiveness of the idea.

Reply to
bitrex

A federal student loan was about the one nice thing I got out of my poverty-riddled childhood in a dysfunctional family. How'd you make out?

Nothing more galling than seeing guys who probably make more in a year than I've probably made in the past ten complain so bitterly about "SJWs" and "Snowflakes."

An education was my ticket out of eating sardines for dinner for the rest of my life. Oh, oh. But a Twitter SJW at a university offended you. I'm so sorry.

Reply to
bitrex

And real people don't operate this way at all, ever.

Reply to
bitrex

An essay on how a government of people should operate, provided to you by hello I am a robot beep boop computer-man.

Reply to
bitrex

So what's wrong with eating sardines? And Mackerel cakes? And Ramen noodles?

Good stuff >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Our family has been fortunate... country boy from WV, Valedictorian of my HS class, I garnered a full-ticket scholarship to MIT.

Thus I was able to pretty much pay all four of the kids' way thru college with two of them earning grants as well.

Talking early '80's to late '80's, I was paying out around $50K/year for two in college and two in private school, all at the same time :-(

Yup. I even cut MIT out of my will about 9 years ago.

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

And this shows that both sides aren't innocent:

However you must admit that when your leader calls for people to attack:

that you get what he wants - a nation divided where misguided anger and hate are called forth. He wants people to be angry, they stop thinking when that happens. And he gets his way...

John

Reply to
John Robertson