OT: Atlas Shrugged

I'm at about the age where it's high time a man should start planning his railroad empire:

1x10 feet seems like a good starting size for an around-the-walls shelf-type pike, in N scale.
Reply to
bitrex

WOT? No interurban trolley line on the edge of the platform, ?

Bachmann-n-scale-brill-trolley-green

I have the HO scale Brill Trolleys, and I love them...

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

If you ever get the chance, go and visit

They've been creating it since the 1950s, and it isn't finished yet :)

My daughter was inspired by somebody there showing her how easy it was to model individual cauliflowers and cabbages.

The pictures on the website don't do it justice - search for individual's pictures of the exhibits.

Or, if you prefer to create layouts, set up signalling schemes etc, then

is addictively playable.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

This company makes a pretty nice set of elevated trolley structures:

Heavy rail running underneath an "L" was probably done in large US cities at some point.

"CMR" makes some kits that look appropriate for the "City" section including the passenger terminal:

Reply to
bitrex

The short-term plan would be to connect it to a section of loop-track so trains could go out and come back in on a schedule; outbound morning train A becomes inbound evening train B. User mostly runs the switcher in the yard and builds them up and breaks them down staying out of the way of the business.

Sort of a live-action puzzle game, don't need no smart phone to do a puzzle

Reply to
bitrex

If you are into trains then warther museum im Dover, oh is a definite place to go......

bulegoge

Looks amazing. I saw the late George Selios' Franklin & South Manchester one time as teen, probably one of the most detailed and exquisite period models in the US or the world, even. Started in the early 80s and took half a lifetime to build:

Reply to
bitrex

Prices have definitely gone up since I was a kid and you don't seem to really save much of anything but space by going N scale, on average, structures are a little cheaper depending, track and turnouts are about the same, good-quality locomotives seem more expensive and there's not as much available vis a vis economies of scale and popularity vs. HO scale.

There are good deals on gently-used and NOS pieces on eBay sometimes though, I've picked up some period-appropriate rolling stock already:

Going to probably get an Alco diesel switcher, some passenger cars to shuffle around to make trains from, at least one of each mainline passenger and freight locomotive, maybe a couple rail-diesel cars.

Reply to
bitrex

There's a guy in Missouri that has a railroad around his rural yard. Check out : 37.611892N -91.624865W

Reltively near Salem, MO on highwway 32

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It looks good, but the Pendon Museum "Vale Scene" layout has been under creation by a team since the 50s.

Their objective is to accurately model the buildings and scenes found in the 1930s.

As you can imagine, accurately modelling a thatched roof or a haystack or weathered timbers or crops in a smallholding takes some time.

The model that got my imagination going in the 1960s was the viaduct in different layout there

I did, long ago, visit a model in California (Sacramento?) It was OK, but by comparison many corners had been cut.

Reply to
Tom Gardner