OT: Almost Made a Mistake

I would have sold all my Tesla stock in February when it reached 900. I so ld some earlier at 500 and then some at 900, but I want to pay capital gain s rather than regular tax, so the rest I had to hold onto. I have a few mo re shares that have matured and am ready to sell which I almost did today b elieving it will continue down. But... Congress has not yet passed their r elief bill and I can't imagine that won't pump the market when it finally i s passed by Congress.

So I'm holding off a day or two to sell. Tesla will release their producti on/sales number at the end of March and they are going to be well off the m ark because of the shutdown. The only question is how far off the mark. T hen a month later they will release the financials. Again, they will be of f and the details of how far off will either rally or cause further drops.

I have one more purchase which will qualify for long term gains the end of May. By then we should have some clarity of where things are headed.

Tesla tends to be a very "active" stock responding to everything strongly. (The market sneezes and Tesla catches a cold) The model Y is shipping and they are selling cars in China. They will have made good use of this time when they could not make cars. So they will do just fine long term. But making money on the stock is a tricky matter of timing and understanding th e expectations of the market. That last part can be tough.

I expect to see similar effects at the other automakers. In particular thi s time will allow them to continue planning for their new electric models. Next year we are going to see a lot of new EV models, both hybrid and batt ery.

Not sure what will happen with Boeing. I suppose they will receive massive loans which may be just what they needed to get through the MAX737 fiasco. Time heals all wounds, including financial ones.

Which companies will be hit hardest by the virus shut downs? Who will be i mpacted the least?

It's pretty obvious the medical companies will surge. I expect the insuran ce companies will be among those hit hardest.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

impacted the least, umm Proctor & Gamble, people are still going to shave and wash clothes and themselves. Match Group, Inc? single people looking for dates after the shutdown ends, perhaps. Home Depot, Lowe's, contractor supply stores, e.g. apartment/housing infrastructure still has to be maintained. Dominoes pizza, Papa Johns, etc. Anheuser-Busch, Molson-Coors, Constellation Brands, Phillip Morris, etc. I won't personally put money into booze or cigarette stocks, though. Facebook, Amazon, Instagram, FedEx, UPS. Archer Daniels Midland. Del Monte produce. HVAC companies like Lennox, United Technologies, GE.

Reply to
bitrex

Trucking companies, Old Dominion Freight, Heartland Express, C.H. Robinson. truck repair/maintenance/equipment-type stocks too. Railroad/intermodal transport. CSX. Norfolk Southern. Canadian National. Dry bulk carrier shipping.

Reply to
bitrex