OT: Adobe Reader weirdness

Adobe is garbage. Use CutePDF to make pdf's, and Foxit to view them. Both are fast and free.

John

But... Wait , won't that hurts Adobe's profits, very un American

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Not at all... competition is very American!

I see that Foxit has a U.S. office in Fremont these days, although my recollection is that the actual programmers are over in Russia. Surprising how many companies do this (and purposely make no mention of where the "real work" is done)!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

A few months ago I installed Reader 8.1.1 on an XP machine. ( new install of Adobe Reader to a new new install of XP, on a new harddrive)

Sometime in the past few weeks, whenever I double click on a pdf file, Reader will open in half of the screen, the lower half.

I went through the options, but when I open a pdf file for the first time abter booing up the machine, it will be half a page.

Today I deleted v8.1.1 and installed 8.1.2, and the same half screen startup.

Anyone see this before ?

donald

Reply to
donald

Didn't Adobe move it's programming to India?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Foxit is a shell on top of Ghostscript, I think.

John

I'm rather confident it's not, based on the size (it's far too small to be Ghostscript) and their brochure

where they proudly proclaim on page four that it was "Mostly designed and implemented from scratch." (That brochure sounds as though it probably wasn't written by a native English speaker...)

I did a little poking around on Archive.Org, and it appears that Foxit did start in the U.S.. So it's possible I'm just wrong about the programmers being Russian, or perhaps they acquired Foxit Reader from a Russian company or were perhaps started by immigrants. At this point I'll revert to a simple, "I don't know."

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Thanks, I'll google for them.

Reply to
donald

sounds like the spread of Communism, all this "open stuff".

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Yup that confirms it. The russians are behind it.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Absolutely. A lot of it started with that Ben Franklin guy, advocating public libraries and all. Hell, he even went to FRANCE, which might as well be a communist country even if they claim otherwise!

:-)

Just kidding...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Also recommended at least for a look-see are the products from . Their XChange PDF viewer is free and the associated PDF tools are pretty inexpensive (and seem to work well).

I used Foxit for a while (and liked it) but for some reason it interacted with the network at work in such a way that it took bleedin' forever for the Print dialog to come up.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

[snip]

I don't know whether to trust a company that touts their features with light blue text on a white background :-(

...Jim Thompson

PDF995 is.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've not seen it, but I'm somewhat familiar with Adobe weirdness, -- particularly with their Illustrator-10 product (which I would NEVER purchase again!!) So, at least I've been there.

I have a couple questions: You're saying "half-page". What does that mean exactly? The Acrobat window consumes half the screen space, or the PDF image contained in the Acrobat window is using only half the available space?

Obviously: Check File, File Properties, etc.. and see what the Open Options are set to. If set to Windows default, that could be your problem. This setting is document specific, by the way....

Also check the magnifacation factor on startup. (Also, document - specific unless set to Windows default)

You might try opening a PDF and then adjust everything you need to do, to get it to fill the screen. Then save this resulting effort as a new file somewhere. Close Acrobat, and then reopen that or another file and see if things get reset.

Otherwise, I suspect you'll have to track down what the preferences file is for your version of Acrobat (sorry, have no idea what it's called, but it's probably NOT over-written on a re-install incidentally, which is why that approach won't work). You'll have to delete this file and Acrobat will recreate it on its next run.

At least, that was the "fix" for the Illustrator-10 bug(s). I suspect the same sort of thing with Acrobat.

Lots of folks will tell you to jump ship and use some other PDF vendor. Sometimes this is the right move. I contend a better move is to simply use version 5.0, which will more than likely do everything you'll likely ever need it to, and it was a very, very stable release on XP platforms.

Good luck.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Except that the Foxit site runs one thru a maze of "offers" that will PAY for the Foxit software, and one has to noodle around to get the damn software. And i certainly did not like it when a Trojan Backdoor inclusion had to be repaired on the fly while downloading it. There must have been some dregs, as i had to fix the same problem when i ran Foxit the first few times. I say "FIXIT, Foxit"!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Let them die of the bloat like Norton/Symantec (and hopefully M$ also...).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I double-click on a pdf file in Explorer, Adobe Reader opens and the "Blue Bar" at the top of the Reader window starts in the middle of my screen.

I can double-click on that top bar and it fills the screen. I close the Reader window and double-click on the same pdf file and it opens at mid-screen again.

Yes, I figured that there is a config still hanging around someware.

It may be in the registry somewhere as well.

Thanks

donald

Reply to
donald

Acrobat has a mode where you can split the screen so you can view two documents at the same time. Place your cursor on the divider and drag the divider towards the top.

Reply to
qrk

That seems a bit extreme :)

Try Revo Uninstaller (it's free):

This can hunt-and-destroy the files and settings that the built-in uninstaller leaves behind.

I run linux myself, but I administer some windows machines and discovered it recently. Seems free of spyware.

--

John Devereux
Reply to