OT: Adding new Windows registry key?

I'm not clear about interpreting the following instructions I found for making a new key: "Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\policies\\Explorer Create a new key called: NoDriveTypeAutoRun Type is: DWORD Value is: 0x000000b5 (181)"

I've entered a new *key* named 'NoDriveTypeAutoRun' in the left hand pane. But what do I enter under 'Name' in the right hand side? So far, I've added this second line to the existing one (also shown):

Name Type Data

----------- ---------- --------------- (Default) REG_SZ (value not set) DWORD REG_DWORD 0x000000b5 (181)

But that name is plainly silly. And it has Type = 'REG_DWORD', not 'DWORD', and anyway there seems no option under Modify to *change* the Type.

FWIW, the instructions were here:

and my aim is simply to turn off AutoPlay, so that my DVDs and CDs do nothing automatically when I load them.

I'm sure it's very simple once you've done it!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

I've always found the tips from these guys reliable:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

They probably mean a new VALUE NoDriveTypeAutoRun DWORD 0x000000b5 (181)

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

No, I thing REG just stands for Registry. Just another little inconsistency. Hope you saved the registry before you started fiddling with it?

What is it you're trying to do anyway?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Thanks, yes, that looks better! But presumably the instructions were also wrong in saying Type should be 'DWORD'? The line now appears as:

Name Type Data

----------- ---------- ---------------

NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x000000b5 (181)

Or is there some way to change the Type I've so far missed please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\policies\\Explorer

Hello Terry,

I used tweakui for stopping autoplay on XP pro, I think I did the same on XP home

regards

IanM

Reply to
IanM

The TweakUI solution is always the safest. I've only twiddled the registry directly a few times... always a harrowing experience ;-)

Don't use McAfee ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Do you mean Yes? IOW, it was another error in the instructions, and Type should be 'REG_DWORD', not DWORD?

Yep!

As per opening post: "...my aim is simply to turn off AutoPlay, so that my DVDs and CDs do nothing automatically when I load them."

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\policies\\Explorer

Yep, I have it, and used it. I agree it seems the simplest method - assuming it really does make the *several* registry changes that apparently are sometimes needed.

BTW, directly after I used it (before making any registry changes) I found that this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CDRom had not change from 0 to 1. Presumably it needs a reboot, although saw nothing to that effect in TweakUI.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

change this line:

to this:

IOW, omit the ' (181)' - that's the decimal value of b5 hex. When whatever retrieves that tries to parse the value, the extra characters confuse it. Or maybe it tries a string match, which will still not work.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Spehro

Cool.

Do you know a site like that for McAfee software? I want to muffle all those annoying "oh, your system may now be in danger, blah, blah..." messages. Turning them off in the setting only got rid of about 80% of them.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

That's what I am thinking about. If it won't behave and keeps interrupting I'll just dump the whole thing.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Terry Pinnell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Have you tried holding down the left-side "shift" key? It works as long as you hold it down while the disk loads up and then spins up. You should get a long LED illumination as the disk is loading and speeding up and then usually a short flash as the OS samples the disk for AutoPlay instructions. After that, you can let go.

Rick

Reply to
kelvin_cool_ohm

Yes, thanks, aware of that one. But I want something not requiring my remembering to do it! I'm currently playing with DVD burning and preventing autoplay gets one variable factor out of the way.

As you see from earlier posts, now sorted.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

Give AVG antivrus a try. Its free and has repiared problems McAfee and Norton couldn't

?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to