OT: A Friday brain problem...

(You are on your honor not to google it.)

You have 8 balls of equal size, color, etc. [Insert obvious joke here.]

7 of the balls weigh the same, and one weighs slightly more, but not enough to where you can tell by just picking it up.

You also have a balance scale (i.e., 2 trays on either side of the center post). It won't tell you the weight of something, just if what is in the right tray is heavier than the what is in the left, or vice versa.

What is the smallest number of times that you can use the scale, with certainty, to determine which ball is the heavier one?

Reply to
johnnycoconutsftp

wrote

What if the oddball (joke?) is heavier OR lighter?

Reply to
da pickle

That's the correct form of the problem, the OP got it wrong. Although, it doesn't change the answer (3) at all, or the procedure.

--
Joe Long aka ChipRider
Somewhere on the Range

at

Yes. The oddball is a different weight - heavy or light, unknown - and: your task is to identify it; you are not required to determine whether heavy or light.

Finally, modify the problem: either one ball is odd, or they are all true. Solve.

--
Rich
Reply to

I don't know about "wrong." 8 balls, one of them too heavy, is also a valid problem. It also tricks people because they look at the 8 and think that the answer must be to weigh 4 vs 4, then 2 vs. 2, and finally 1 vs. 1. So they guess the wrong answer of 3, instead of the correct answer of 2.

This sounds trickier, although I think I could get somewhere by weighing 123 vs. 456. Then, assuming I don't get lucky enough for them to balance, I'd weigh 14 vs. 25. I think that path would get me to a solution in 3 weighings.

This sounds a bit like the previous one. Start with 123 vs. 456. The only new case would be down the path where they balance. But then you'll still have two weighings to deal with 7 and 8. First, weigh 7 and 8 against each other. Then, if they don't balance, weigh 7 against 1.

Reply to
dgates

actually you could include the other two balls in the second step 147 vs 258

third step is 783 vs 156

and that finds the bad ball with no decision tree needed for the weighings.

what's more all thses can be done in the same number of weighings with

9 balls.

for the first case 123 vs 456 147 vs 258

(if both balance ball 9 is the culprit)

for the second and third with 9 balls.

weigh 123 vs 456 then 456 vs 789 then 147 vs 258 three predeterimed weighings suffice for 12 balls with 1 or 0 bad balls

weigh 123A vs 456B then 456A vs 789B then 147A vs 258C

I wonder if there a way to do 13 balls in three weighings.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes. PN2222A

Reply to