Oscilloscope Shopping on a $2000.00 Budget

??Rigol?? Never heard of them. Made / sold where? How many years have they been in business? Whst other products do they make / sell? How reliable is their stuff? (prolly should have been first question)

Reply to
Robert Baer

" RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES, INC. is an emerging leader in the test and measurement field. Our current product line consists of Digital Oscilloscopes, Function/Arbitrary Waveform Generators, Digital Multimeters, Virtual Instruments with LXI compatibility and more. Business Philosophy: Focus on our customers current and future needs by creating innovative, high quality products that deliver great value. RIGOL currently has 300 employees and is Continuously growing. Most of our employees are at our Beijing Technology Campus. We invest heavily in R&D and today have over 50 R&D engineers working on future products. RIGOL has 10 sales offices in China along with a branch office in North America. Currently we offer our products and services in over 42 countries or regions on six continents utilizing more than

150 distributors and representatives. The prestigious EDN China Annual Innovation Award for RIOGL DS1000 series DSO was awarded to RIOGL along with Local Innovation Company Award, the first time it was ever awarded to a Chinese company. RIGOL Technologies, Inc. is an ISO9001:2004 Quality Management System and ISO14001:2000 Environmental Management System Certified company.

Jul, 1998 RIGOL WORKSHOP was founded in Beijing. May, 1999 RIGOL's first product RVO2100, a high performance Virtual Digital Storage Oscilloscope was introduced. Dec, 2000 RIGOL Technoligies, Inc. was founded and certified as New Hi-tech Enterprise."

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I fixed a similar problem with a Korean-made analog scope- some 1% resistors exposed to HV DC had shifted value by a large amount. Didn't take me long to find once I had the schematic in hand (ordered over the net). I could not have found a repair place or packed it up in that length of time.

Loathsome scope, IMO. The color Agilents are a bit better, but still there's too much stuff between the signals/knobs and the screen, IMHO. OTOH, if you're debugging a serial protocol or doing other digital-type stuff they're nice. The digital stuff is also nice for documenting screen caps, but I don't do that very often these days.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

your own.

$2000 CAD budget, he said (= USD 2015 = EUR 1436). That's enough to buy a decent scope.

How about the trigger circuitry? I think that might be the challenge, and a quite difficult one without proper test equipment. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Geez, I haven't used an analog scope more than a couple times in the last year. I do most of my work with my TDS2012, except the fast stuff with an 11801 sampler. Monochrome scopes just confuse me now.

The 11801, incidentally, uses a magnetic-deflection, vertical-raster-scan CRT!

John

Yes, very nice. I imagine it might be quite useful in situations with transient common mode voltages as well.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It's the digital (Tek TDS something-or-other monochrome) that they want to throw in the trash can. It's for troubleshooting, not circuit design.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Try this one.

Once the design basics have been verified with a scope, (things like signal integrity and levels), you're much better off with something like that instead of a scope. The probes are much easier to work with, and you have tons of channels, and flexible triggering, etc, and of course you can have the GUI do the sweaty stuff like decode I2C.

If you stick to lower speed stuff and have a bit of experience, you don't even need a scope really. I always assume my PIC junk works at the hardware level, it's usually my code that's broken.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

your own.

Trial and error? :P

Okk.... you got me on that technicality.. :( D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yeah. Usually after you've done some huge amount of signal analysis, you smack yourself upside the head and say "duhh, of course." The problem was often there, in plain sight.

John

your own.

How did the excellent scope get made then?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The word is they design & produce Agilent's low end scopes. I 'know' some Rigol owners through an internet forum and they are quite pleased with it.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Oct 2007 19:16:18 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

your own.

Yes, was a type, I ment 2000, sure you can buy anything, but as to the nature of this group designing seems more fun.

There may be other reasons to buy, like 'a tek loks good in my workshop', etc... there are people who collect stuff like that... impresses customers.

Not sure, we have not specified any parameters yet, but if it is sampling at say

200MHz continuously, you can trigger at time t and display from t - x. Trigger is then a simple hardware comparator in the FPGA. Maybe even use the FPGA internal blockrams for the grab. I did this for TV sync slice, auto trigger in a Spartan2. More challenging for me would be a small say 500MHz wide, 500x gain, variable gain amp.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:14:26 -0700) it happened D from BC wrote in :

your own.

No, if that was so then there would be nothing ever. the digital part can be 100% simulated anyways, and the analog part too. A few tricks you must have aquired yourself over time. If it displays a 50MHz square wave from some chip output, without shoots and stuff, you are getting closer to something you could use for power suplies and normal uc I think?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:02:46 -0700) it happened D from BC wrote in :

your own.

It is 2 month till christmass. Did you never have a boss who came in on Monday with a new micro, and expected a working controller before friday? And I had one who would come in on Wednesday to see if it was ready yet :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

your own.

How about 'a bought oscilloscope works out of the box'?

say 200MHz

The biggest job is not the hardware, it is the software that takes most of the development time. I estimate an DSO is 5% hardware, 95% software. The input circuitry poses some interesting challences though.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:31:27 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

But it likely won't have all the fun things YOU could think of.

Well, depends what you want to add to 'software', advanced signal analysis.. fft.. whatever.., these algos are well known, and are available as GPL, assuming the little FPGA board runs Linux for example. With tools like xst hardware (HDL) design may be challenging, and time consuming.

Absolutely, I would like at least 10mV sensitivity, so some gain is needed too.

The plus side is, that once it works OK, you can sell it. And if it breaks down, you can fix it yourself. And software updates if you need a specific function are possible. Only limited by the imagination.

On fpga4fun is a little 100 MHz scope:

Jan Panteltje

Like some "emerging" nations?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Whose lifetime, yours? the company's? the present administration? Higher transuranic elements?

Remember the Tek lifetime warranty on transformers?

First time I needed that, there was an embarrassed silence followed by "I'll get someone to call you back".

Any guesses as to whether anyone did?

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

DSOs can show you fake signals when irregular stuff happens, especially so once they go into "pseudo" mode, usually above 10nsec/div. Just had that happen last week, fired up the trusty analog scope, all nice and clear.

Take one of your pulse generators, set it to double pulse and play with the DSO a little. You can get rather interesting rising and falling lattice fence sections onto the screen (that, of course, aren't really there).

A Tek 2465 is in no way primitive. It's often the only tool to find some bugs in a reasonable time frame.

Did ya hafta put marzipan in front of me and then pull it away again? If the budget was infinite ...

But I won't touch any Tek with LCD/TFT screen anymore until rather exhaustive noise tests. Been burnt, big time, and so was a client.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to