Oscillator type names.

Does anyone know the correct name for the 2 transistor LC oscillator that looks like a long tailed pair?

I though it was a Franklin oscillator - the google hits are ambiguous to say the least, but its possible I have the name wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

I'm not sure that all the variants have names. Most of the oscillators got names back in the teens and twenties before there was a unified theory of feedback in circuits, and when sustained radio oscillation was a Really Astonishing Thing.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I avoid oscillator type names like the plague... does nothing but add confusion. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The oscillator I have in mind, I could almost draw from memory.

But I'd like some point of reference so I can google for more info.

Reply to
Ian Field

I've seen them called differential pair oscillators. That what you're looking for?

Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Differential oscillators...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Am 20.01.2016 um 19:59 schrieb Ian Field:

maybe Buttler osc.?

Jorgen

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

Emitter coupled oscillators? Current-steering oscillators?

Advantage that they don't disturb the power supply very much?

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

[snip]

Yes ;-)

Yes.

Easy to make sure they self-start.

Easy to AGC (actually energy control) for high spectral purity...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Right, just basicallly inject the AGC control voltage into the current source driving the tail current.

I think I built a little AM transmitter many years ago that worked that way - long tail pair with a crystal/LC positive feedback loop and the audio modulation driving the current source, then buffered with an emitter follower and LC antenna matching network. Seemed to work pretty good...

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

--
For a first shot, why not Google Google Images for "long-tailed pair
oscillator" and if that fails, then draw what you can remember and
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Why didn't you do that for us? Like, contribute?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

No need - it was one of the first things I tried.

Getting the name I thought it was totally wrong didn't help of course.

Its actually a Butler oscillator, and series fed is the variant I need. There are several references in my personal stash library - but it took over an hour of inspecting files to find them.

Reply to
Ian Field

Turns out I was thinking of totally the wrong name - its a Butler oscillator I needed.

Reply to
Ian Field

Did eventually find it - the Butler oscillator.

Its the common base stage that drives the LC with high impedance - so very low loading.

The other stage is common collector - so I'm hoping the transistors I picked are fast enough.

Reply to
Ian Field

That's the one.

It took over an hour sifting through my personal stash library to find it though!

Thanks.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
Since I was replying to the OP, and not to your imginary cadre, "Us"
is supercilious and is designed to imply [unwarranted] support.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

That had already been tried and didn't produce the required result.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
Then why not post the circuit, or at least as much of it as you can
remember, and let us mull over it?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Because I eventually found it in my personal stash library, and someone posted the right answer next day as well.

Admittedly my question was a bit vague - but it sorts out who's smart and who's less so.

Reply to
Ian Field