optoisolated power supply

how about magnetic isolation? Simple, established techniques involving switch mode power supplies. Some attention needs to be given to the design and winding of the transformer to ensure proper isolation. But that's not rocket science.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Disclaimer: This publication is the sole property of monkey #736903 and his typewriter. It does not represent the opinions of any other primate, either alive or dead, or any descendants thereof.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yeah, but ... the OP is referring to a medical application. All bets are off as to skin resistance since we don't know where he'll be shoving those probes.

Once you get beneath the skin, the human body has quite low resistance.

Great minds discuss ideas,
average minds discuss events,
small minds discuss people.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. The project fell through; the friend has decided to go in another direction and use an off-the-shelf product. In a way I'm glad - building such a device the "proper" way with isolation and safeguards would have taken an awful lot of my time for a one-off project, and even if the risk involved is low I'd frankly much rather leave the design of quasi-medical equipment to others who are more qualified for the time being.

I agree with what you say, magnetic isolation is probably the most straightforward way to go in such a project.

Reply to
bitrex