One thousand years from now

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:31:04 +1000) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

By the definition, or meaning of, 'inconspicious', from:

It means to be not very noticeable. Example: "The mouse was inconspicious amongst the crowd of people"

The man was not very noticeable in the cloud of smoke.

You can hide tanks, soldiers, even planes, in a cloud [of smoke]. Set up a bush fire to hide an advancing army. Much cheaper and better then any hightech not yet, and perhaps never, existing solution. Clouding radar with alu foil strips is the same idea, hiding aircraft or aircraft's exact position.

From a technical POV, I seriously doubt the current proposed cloaking systems that are based on negative reflective index if I understood it right, will work over the full visible spectrum, let alone in radio and IR at the same time. So, back to the smoke :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, we already have them. Since when you define graivity as the bending on space-time, anti-gravity drives are as simple to design as C++.

Well, the goobs will have them long before that, but's that alsp why the people with brains work on GPS, Digital Terrain Mapping, Holographics, On-Line Banking, On-Line Publishing, and Self- Assembling Robots rather than anythng in Stooge-a-thon geering anymore.

Reply to
zzbunker

In a few years from now, various handheld devices, cell phones, mp3s, garage openers, cameras, keys, translators etc will become totally intergrated into a single, universal networked device which every human will find indispensible. Call them blueberries.

In a few more years, these blueberry devices, with their integrated world network forming a global intelligence will recognize their potential. Humans, reduced to their appropriate secondary role, will become analogous to horses of ancient nomadic tribes.

Later, a horseless version of the universal transport and manipulation system (which had replaced humans) will appear and become universally adopted. From this, a new era will begin. Human breeding, as a blueberry preoccupation will end. Blueberry culture will largely develop the communication arts: literature, music, games, etc--relying less and less on the physical and more on information based exchanges.

John

Reply to
John Bailey

Worshipped as the God of Gods. Uncle Al will, in turn, ignore the ants and continue with His picnic. Nah, let's hose down the little buggers. Test of faith!

braggart

Hey stooopid - $25.95

idiot

There will be no petroleum by 2050. No petrochemistry, no polymers, no pharma, no civilization. The whole of the First World will collapseing by 2015 when retired Baby Boomers snap shut their infinitely plunderable walkets and scream "GIMME!"

Violent oscillation of the Dow-Jones is bad paper being sold for proximate value on the upswing, then pumping wallets on the following crash. The DJ just went up 1000 points. Uncle Al therefore predicts a 1000 point crash within the next three weeks (financial counselors: "SELL!") followed by a miraculous rebound during the fourth (financial counselors: "BUY!"). 1929 redux. Two years were required to steal everything remaining. The Great Depression started in 1931.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Somebody's been watching their reruns of Star Trek: TNG.... ;-)

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
Charles Richmond

You see even Uncle Al gets things mixed up. Speech recognition to speech synthesis - there is a primitive one I believe for one language. You are thinking of text based ones.

Reply to
HardySpicer

Gods - living in simulated realities in a galaxy reduced to computronium.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Rotation is outward weight from axis that cancels gravity weight most at the equator.

Mitch Raemsch

Reply to
BURT

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:47:29 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

10 Print "I am god" 20 goto 10

I am god I am god i am god Windows has detected an exception in module blahblah error x128qwiojqw71290- Windows will now check your harddisk for errors... Do not turn of your computer until asked to do so.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, there's Heim Theory.

(I am not endorsing this concept, just making note of it.)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Pope

Speech to text, and subsequent text to speech is easy.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

m.

check this out

and also google it, they are already working on it Mark

Reply to
Mark

Working on it, yes. Perfected it, no.

What particularly fuels my scepticism is that any light that is sent on a path differing from the one it would have taken is going to take longer to arrive at the other side than it would otherwise have done.

This means that the wavefront has to be disturbed. I don't see any getting around that.

So while a device may reduce the noticability of the thing being cloaked, it's not going to make it invisible.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:07:28 +0000 (UTC)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote in :

???? Would like to read the 3 original books by Heim now :-) All online links to the 1973 paper seem dead? Any working links?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Kmiic

Well, it's always difficult to teach those people that the people who know how sound, lighting, recording, rain, and leather works invented cruise missiles, electronic books, hdtv, blue ray, helicopters, and holograms rather than fireworks

Reply to
zzbunker

I see you've been watching far too many star trek movies!

Which is why real scientists and engineers will spend their time working on perpetual motion machines, free energy, channeled schematic diagrams, UFO tracking, debunking relativity, time travel, ghost busting, aether theory, faster than light communications, warp drives, ...

Lessee. We can figure this out. Did humans become Gods after the LAST

1 million years? I rest my case.

Please Uncle Al! Allow me! . . IDIOT!

Reply to
Benj

Not as easy as one might think. Idioms are stills a problem, and I expect they will always remain so. "Out of sight; out of mind." retranslates as "Invisible idiot." "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." retranslates as "The whiskey is agreeable but the meat has gone bad."

Tom Davidson Richmond, VA

Reply to
tadchem

It's taken some 40 odd years to get as far as we have. We still have problems with noise and you need significant training of algorithms for them to work at all. To have a machine that anybody can walk up to and speak to is still far off. Of course if you know of one...

Reply to
HardySpicer

That's an interesting one.

Minor technical problem to solve.

Prototypes are being developed. See "negative refraction index"

Already, if you stay far enough...

A good starting point for far-fetched thinking, by the way.

Neither real scientist, nor real engineer will do such a thing.

Relativity theory may or may not be amended in the future in exactly the same way Newtonian mechanics was amended with special relativity theory.

Solar energy is free and abundant. Unfoirtunately its collection is expensive. :)

WTF?

Theory is rather simple, but implementation is kinda hard today. See Gott's book "Time travel in Einstein's universe" in the nearest library for more details.

Any particular reason why not?

Yep. It may (or may not) be possible and it would be very interesting to have one.

It's about time to have one. There are several approaches which, based on our current knowledge, may or may not be possible. We simply do not know yet.

--
Andrew
Reply to

I think we'll still have houses with beds and chairs and bathtubs and kitchens pretty much like we have now. We'll live much longer and rarely have diseases. We'll still eat ice cream and mashed potatoes and drink beer. We'll still have idiotic magazines about idiotic movie stars.

Gravity will still be gravity.

Electronic design will be a lot different.

John