Re: Xnews filter.

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns9C52AF5F03E05zoodlewurdle@216.196.109.145:

I have a score file that is very effective, so I'm posting

Thanks. I use Xnews myself. Although, I don't use filtering as it seems the NSP though my ISP is doing so already. I see a few spams here and there, but not enough to be bothered by. I simply skip them.

However, I am considering switching to a non censoring NSP and in that case I may need filters.

Brian

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Reply to
Skywise

Skywise wrote in news:rvpam.97911$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.ams:

alt.lasers gets off lightly. :) If you wade into the murky depths that is sci.electronics.components the SNR is around 5% at best, without filtering. I think more people might bother to read and post there if they had filtering to make it tolerable. The problem is always that to filter aggressively risks losing a lot of valid stuff too, but this filter is one I built specifically with that group in mind so it fits very well there. Probably equally well in sci.electronics.design, though there might likely be a few more exceptions to add underneath Tim Shoppa's name so their posts get through. Most people use names that Xnews can reasonably discriminate from spammers but if Xnews let us filter on a couple more headers than it does now, it might be easier. If spammers get more thoughtful Xnews is going to run out of steam in defence against them. It currently uses Message-ID, Subject, From, Xref, Lines, and References headers, but Lines is all but useless, and s the best way to filter is a basic pattern we need more anchor points. Especially powerful would be adding the User-Agent and Path headers. I really don't know why those were not included.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Consider using NewsProxy (nfilter) for the filtering. Depending on the NNTP server you can filter against either the basic set of headers or the complete set of headers including the ones beginning with an X-.

NewsProxy can be used with any Windows nntp client.

Kim

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kim_Fallstr=F6m

Kim Fallström wrote in news:JAGam.28171$ snipped-for-privacy@uutiset.elisa.fi:

Nice. I found a Win32 (ALL of Win32 no less) GUI version complete with source code. I'll try this and if it works painlessly I'll port my filter for it and post it here once I have it done. Won't be immediate but it will happen.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

You should be able to find version 1.2.4 along with the source code.

A search on nps-124.zip will find it.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

Thor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nice. Definitely later than what I found.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

A link to a site with 11 types of filters and more. The alt.freeware group was plastered at one time and these guys went all out. electronics.repair also got hit but I don't know if there is a link to the common filters used in that group, including white listing "good" google groups users.

When you pull "all headers" in a group then nps will process them in batches, it may take a little while.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

it

It's been doing a nice job of dropping google groups for a good while now, but for some reason I can't get it to drop wildcarded subjects or even specific ones, and I know my syntax in nfilter.dat is correct.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts