ON-CHIP VACUUM MICROTRIODE

When I received the 1st schematics from Boogie, it took a while to find replacement 'FETRON' devices. They died a quick death, and later a stronger FET (yes, even MOSFET) was found to replace it, but the sound sucked donkey...

'NANO' tubes will not work at the higher voltages needed to make it all MoJo. Current devices in the plate of V1 (NEVER another stage, no way no how) works, but sounds like puke. Ya have to understand WHY said tube sounds good for guitar input stages.

It's the case of tech fantasy trying to replace reality.

LEARN...!!!! Or be sold to...

I got a pile of FETRON devices collecting dust till I find some old Boogie needing replacement. It'll cost ya big time.

JJTj

--------------------------------------------------- Nature's way is to take away from those who have too much and give it to those that have too little.

Man's way, on the contrary, is to take away from those who have too little to give more to those who already have too much..

Lao Tsu, circa 490BC

It's that guy again...

Linearity might be a problem. Most of the ones I can find available are designed for power switching. 50 amps at 1200 volts.

I never got that far into it. I just carried a couple of spares. At least they didn't need the bias adjusting after changing them, like power transistors did then. I could have a dead amp back up in seconds if it was just a dead valve.

That could have been useful. Come to that, it could still be useful in keeping the signal in the linear part of the curve, which is getting to be a problem with some stuff.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

anode

Thank you but I'll take the WE396A if it is all the same to you. For what someone with brains and taste can do with a single agreeable little WE tube per channel, check out my Type 68bis "Minus Zero" 417A single tube micropower single ended amplifier, a glorious one-third watt:

Of course the T68bis "Minus Zero' with that huge one-third watt needs high sensitivity speakers, so if you don't have any old VOT, check out my Fidelio-pattern bicor horns, as in the T91 HWAF3 below:
HWAF stands for High Wife Acceptance Factor, as the footprint is only

11in wide by 14in deep --- that's why I keep mine in my studio, for fear my wife likes them so much that she grabs them...

Those horrid Fetrons should not be inflicted even on axe murderers and other guitar players; it is not humane.

Andre Jute Visit Jute on Amps at

"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio constructor" John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare "an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of wisdom" Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Reply to
Andre Jute

Yup, but the curves on them are actually pretty linear. The problem is the bias points on them aren't anywhere near where you would want for a tube.

You see them for switching, because that's what there is a demand for. There are very few high power linear devices made out there, so everyone has to make do with semiconductors intended for switching. For the most part (well, except for SCRs and triacs) good linearity can be obtained with careful biasing.

All you need is to round up a venture capitalist....

--scott

--
"C\'est un Nagra.  C\'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to

Don't have the same bias problem with depletion mode DMOS, like thee one from supertex

On the other hand, you can just cascode a typical low voltage jFET into a high voltage transistor and I'm planning on doing just that for the first gain stage in a little guitar amp I'm building.

IMO the bigger problem is that you'd lose the soft overload characteristic of the tube.

Reply to
flipper

There have been electron emitters (cathodes) made using IC fab techniques for at least 10 years or more; in fact since they were active devices, the emission rate was very controllable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's the hard part over here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

AFAIK both the AC and DC characteristics could not be made to match any of the popular tubes.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Only when presented with a good looking hottie...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Except the *narrow* bandwidth would be a major advantage...

Reply to
Robert Baer

How do you get a characteristic triode curve from a FET?

Reply to
flipper

By tinkering with the shape of the channel, and by building composite devices with multiple channels on one substrate.

I believe the VUDU Tubes guys have a patent on one method.

It should be possible to do with off-the-shelf FETs as well, by using a bunch of parallelled devices at different bias points. Clumsy, though.

But it all depends on how closely you really need to match it. For the IF strip of an communications receiver, you don't need a super careful match and a single off-the-shelf FET would do.

--scott

--
"C\'est un Nagra.  C\'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Excellent! I have never seen these before! I just ordered some samples! Many thanks for introducing me!

--scott

--
"C\'est un Nagra.  C\'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Get a laser then.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Plate resistance?

Tim

Tim Williams

It's easy to add more series resistance. It's hard to remove it.

By "drop one in place" I am assuming some additional resistors, and maybe some shunt caps too if you care about matching high frequency performance, but all on a module that you can stick into a tube socket when a tube is removed.

--scott

--
"C\'est un Nagra.  C\'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to
Scott Dorsey

performance,

My comment refers to the internal feedback that triodes have and pentodes and transistors do not. I know of several circuits (though not commonly used in commercial products) where that would make a huge difference.

I saw a post somewhere below that suggested a manufacturer was onto compensation for this. I suppose a certain doping profile allows the JFET "linear region" to extend to high voltages? This would approximate a triode's characteristic better (roughly constant Rp), but not very linearly (a JFET's "mu" varies widely with Vg).

The 12AX7/ECC83 is a excellent example of highly linear tube characteristics, far in excess of any other device: mu is stone flat over a

200% variation in plate current. 6SL7 is somewhat better still. Transconductance varies as a 3/2 power of plate current, as I recall, which is less "curvey" than FETs or BJTs can claim. (For that matter, 12AX7 has just as much transconductance as 2N3819 is guaranteed to have, which is just silly. Not quite as much bandwidth though.)

Tim

Tim Williams

Well, if this does work out, we could have D/A converters with on chip analog "vacuum tube" buffers. Like the circuits I threw together using an R2R ladder DAC and triode buffers in CD players, see

robert casey

Internal feedback? Between what and what?

And a 6SN7 will beat both of them, although at a lower mu. In fact, a 6SN7 is a remarkably clean device, operated open-loop.

Peace, Paul

Reply to
Paul Stamler

Uh oh, here we go again with the perennial triode feedback debate.

Between the output (plate) and cathode.

Note that it doesn't occur with pentodes because plate voltage is isolated by the screen, which is why they have higher gain.

Reply to
flipper