OLED???

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:59 GMT, "BC" Gave us:

You're full of shit.

They don't even have the video bandwidth to receive the same set of colors, much less reproduce them.

My 19" Viewsonic has 185MHz video bandwidth, and there isn't an FPD out there (short of the IBM I mentioned earlier) that can correctly reproduce color as well.

You are totally LOST if you think for a second that FPDs have caught up with CRTs as it relates to color accuracy, as well as fine pitch array manufacture. CRTs are still king.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:59 GMT, "BC" Gave us:

Oh boy! The Pioneer must be a PRE HDMI model (apples and oranges) and that STILL doesn't prove you know anything about displays. IN fact, it points to you knowing even less.

I have a 37" dual mode Toshiba CRT that STILL beats out my Viewsonic HDMI 32" on HDTV signals. Hands down.

An FPD has motion artifacts in fast moving scenes. A CRT NEVER has ANY motion artifacts.

Since you likely do not even know what a motion artifact is, you should back out of your pathetic argument now.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:59 GMT, "BC" Gave us:

That's due to the fact that you are an utter f****ng retard.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:59 GMT, "BC" Gave us:

That is due to your SHITTY graphics adapter, and likely a poor choice of monitor as well.

You seem to be half assing everything, including this thread, and certainly your grasp of display technology.

CRTs are still king.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 17 May 2006 08:19:48 -0700, "Annika1980" Gave us:

Thank you. I am sure the truth hurts for the guy, but he cannot change the physical facts.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:42:19 +0100, Tony Gartshore Gave us:

Actually, you were. Any IDIOT can tell that it was a case of mild dyslexia. It is obvious to all but the most self constrained retards (points finger). LEDs are not backlit.

Oh deer that in your pipe and choke on it.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:12:19 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." Gave us:

Try again. Illuminated pixels will always beat backlit filtered subtractive color mixing schemas.

Why do you think there is even a move toward OLED to begin with, boys?

Sheesh, get with the program!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Unkind, and untrue.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Not true. SOME fixed pixel displays have motion problems in fast moving scenes. Some fixed pixel displays do motion just as well as a CRT.

Your rudeness in your last sequence of messages manages to exceed the incorrectness of some of your claims.

While decades of work have gone into them, CRTs still have some problems with image geometry, convergence, color purity, and color gamut. Very expensive units can do fairly well with the first three of these, but the gamut remains limited by available phosphors.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Larson

Except, LCD displays are not really subtractive color systems. They have filters to provide primaries, which are then ADDED by the limited resolution of the human eye (just like the striped color CRTs).

If they were full subtractive color systems with three layers, they could generate any color at any physical spot on the screen. This could increase the color resolution.

However, as with the CRT, it doesn't matter, because the color resolution of the human eye is substantially less than the luminance resolution, so the effort for increasing color resolution would be essentially wasted.

How about to have a display for portable devices (like cellphones) that has lower power consumption than backlit displays. Such a device would not need the high voltage source for the backlight, so would save some manufacturing cost.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Larson

You probably need more sleep.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The panel (20 x 2 character) is two sheets of thin glass sandwiched together with both an FPC connector and zebra connectors. Outwardly very similar to equivalent LCD panels. Different materials and processes, of course.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Small displays are where they shine, so to speak. Monochromatic displays too.

If they *never* appear that's just fine by me. They're great for the stuff I design. Horses for courses.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Aw, don't try to confuse the issue with facts.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I just remembered
                                  at               something about a TOAD!

There are several aspects of color. When folks argue merit of LCD vs CRT, I think they should mention WHICH aspects of color they are comparing. Gamut, saturation, stability of hue, etc.

Going off topic in strict sense, I see contrast ratios claimed for LCD that I just do not believe. The accuracy of rotation would have to be super precise, and the quality of the polarizer panel would have to be nearly perfect. Color me sceptical on the claimed CRs. Also I assume these figures are for center of screen, measured absolutely perpendicular to screen.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

It is called a color wheel, not a "triangle"--at least it was when I got my degree in color. White light is a full spectrum.

Pantone Calibration instrument.

People that are as defensive as you usually turn out to be dumbass morons. You use insults and anger to hide your ignorance.

For my work I know this: CRT's aren't as sharp or detailed as LCD. I see much more detail in my images on LCD. Color is calibratable to 5000K and my screen matches my print output at the lab to a "T". What more do you want?

Also there is always this fasicnation with "vapor ware"--some exotic device that humbles all other devices. So don't buy now--just wait a bit longer. Trouble is there is always a new vaporware lurking in the shadows. Reminds me of a guy I knew that was rebuilding his sports car to be really fast with all this high tech equipment. It sat on blocks for years awaiting polished ports and high lift cams. The car never made it to the pavement. In the meantime we, with our humble stock sports cars enjoyed driving around summer after summer.

Moral of the story is to buy something and watch programming. A tv is a device to be used--not jewelry.

Reply to
BC

As far as practical application--that I use--it is better. I compare my Viewsonic 19" to my Trinitron CRT. My print match is better and both were calibrated. The LCD is also sharper.

Reply to
BC

I recently did a job for a very large well know tv brand name company. Out of the nearly 100 tv models I saw in their display room I don't remember seeing ONE CRT. Why? Ancient history that's why. There was LCD, Plasma, LCOS and DLP. LCOS is about gone and Plasma will be history soon. The industry is banking on LCD right now per my converstions with them.

Putting the same image on my trinitron and on the LCD, I will see more detail in the LCD image. Practical facts. I don't care about scientific measurment or some article someone read. I know what I see.

Oh and you are right about not knowing what a motion artifact is--on my LCD I NEVER see them. I watch sports--never see them--action movies--never see them. Depending on the broadcast I do see when crews aren't using HD cameras or the really good HD cameras.

Reply to
BC

Have you seen the ads for the new movie? "MI - aye, aye, aye!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, of the eternal kind. :)