Of drills, woods, bears, and PIV...

I'd disconnect ALL the alternator wires, and the battery hot; just in case.

The drill is NOT a DC motor with bridge; it's a straight universal motor that won't care about waveform. I think the trigger speed controller will object, but non-fatally. I don't think it will do a good job limiting current in locked rotor mode, however.

I was speculating about using a salt water resistor for current limiting as I've seen before:

& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn\'t close).........................pob 1433
David Lesher

Subaru's still have that.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

the

point A

Match the engine speed with what? Zero RPM?

You've got to know your vehicle. Where the clutch engages and what minimum throttle is required to provide adequate torque (without scorching the clutch).

Ask not for whom the  tolls.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I was once driving a friend's car that was new to me - it had a stick, which I know how to use. I had to stop on a fairly steep slope. Some time previous to this, I had read about "heel-and-toe braking"; race car drivers use it sometimes; you do the clutch with your left foot, put your right heel on the brake, and your right toe on the gas. Brake engaged, clutch disengaged; modulate the gas and the clutch such that enough torque is reaching the wheels so you can release the brake, slowly. I was amazed how well it worked! Didn't roll back at all, and didn't burn out the clutch! :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Er ... are you saying that this isn't, like, totally standard on US cars?

How would you pull away uphill without a handbrake?

Reply to
Nobody

Most American-made cars have a "Parking Brake", pedal left-most against the wheel well.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush's failed policies.

Heel-and-Toe. See my other post on this thread.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, how do you pull away uphill (without either having three feet or just being quick enough not to roll back into the vehicle behind)?

Actually, how are you supposed to pull away on the flat? I know that, in practice, most people just use the footbrake. But if you do that on the UK driving test, you'll fail; you're not supposed to release the handbrake until the clutch bites (i.e. no freewheeling at any point).

[Note to Rich: heel-and-toe will also cause you to fail. Pedals aren't supposed to be operated with the heel.]
Reply to
Nobody

Buy a Nissan with the lever between the two front seats ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

Better yet, a parking brake that's easy to reach. My Porsche has a handle just to the left of the driver (between the seat and the door). Just drop your left hand down and hold the car with it.

God doesn\'t play dice. However, He does play a mean game of
3 card monte.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You take the test with an automatic transmission.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

If you do that in the UK, you get a driving licence only allows you to drive vehicles with automatic transmission. This would be a significant drawback when 90% of cars (and nearly all vans) have manual transmission, so very few people do so.

Reply to
Nobody

Interesting. I didn't know they made such distinctions on licenses over there.

Here in the USA, although we do have a 'commercial drivers license' class for people who drive large trucks commercially, one can drive the same sized vehicle for personal use (even licensed as a 'passenger car') with no special license endorsements. Stick shifts, vehicle size, trailers, nothing dealing with vehicle characteristics requires a special license. Except motorcycles.

Yeah, but you\'re taking the universe out of context.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I used to drive a 6150 pound Chevy Stepvan with non commercial tags. 292 straigh six, five speed manual transmission, and rated for over two ton cargo capacity.

Michael A. Terrell

cars?

Back then i just tri-pedaled. That is controlling brake and accelerator with right foot and clutch with left foot.

Reply to
JosephKK

It used to be the case that a "private and light goods" licence (i.e. normal "car" licence, class B) was valid up to 7.5 tonnes (7500kg) maximum gross (laden) weight, with a limit of 3.5 tonnes if you're under age 21. Above that requires a LGV (large goods vehicle, class C) licence.

However, there's now an intermediate licence (class C1) required for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes. But anyone who passed their test before the changes were introduced got the class C1 added automatically.

More details at:

Nobody

Air Brakes Tanker Oversize Doubles , triples Hazmat

Reply to
qrus19

that, in

the UK

handbrake

aren't

significant

transmission,

Not quite. It requires a higher level drivers' license to drive a roadway vehicle with air brakes, or more than one trailer.

Reply to
JosephKK

UK

Tell that to the guy down the road with the Bluebird motor home (essentially a Greyhound bus). No special driver's license needed. And the bus is licensed as a passenger car.

When I was in high school, I remember boys and girls slept
together all the time. We called it algebra class. -- Jay Leno
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

enjoy the

point A

You'd be wrong there, I mostly drive manual transmission vehicles.

I've not driven in city traffic on steep hills much so I'd forgotten about all the hill starts that may be required.

Reply to
Jasen Betts