Oersted Pronunciation

On

And
Oersted is pronounced like 'ur-sted' or like 'err-sted' Somewhat rhymns with fursdead. :P

But on the show Modern Marvels on magnets, some guy pronounced it 'Or-sted' Afterward, the narrator pronounced it 'ur-sted'.

Goofed pronunciation or region dependent tongue?

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

If your ear can't hear it, your tongue can't say it.

which is a close relative of o-umlaut.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Oersted was a Dane (which there is nothing like), and the Danish 'oe' is pronounced to rhyme with 'fur'- the same as the Norwegian and Swedish crossed-out 'o', and the German o-umlaut. These foreigners and their strange pronunciations! They should all be sent to Loughborough.

Reply to
Paul Burke

More like "oer-stead".

Reply to
Robert Baer

How's that pronounced? Something like "Luff"? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm danish and half my family is from a town named =D8rsted, won't try to explain how =D8 (oe) is pronounced, but it its a d at the end not a t

oersted, not oersteat ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt