NYC Drains Clogged With Trash Caused The Flooding

NYC should be designed to easily handle 15" / hr downpour. The 3.5" dumped by Ida should have been nothing- unless the drains are clogged with trash. You can see large trash cardboard/paper debris floating in knee high flood waters in places like Queens. Junk like that either clogs the street level grate or the storm drain itself with enough accumulation. Then this stuff with large swaths of flooded areas filled with standing water for days- obviously gravity isn't taking the water anywhere- the drains are all clogged- the water just stands there until it evaporates or percolates into the ground. The entire incident was a result of municipal negligence in maintaining their storm water runoff system.

De Blasio micromanaging stuff he knows nothing about, again:

Fred Bloggs

You design for what you reasonably expect -- *when* you put that infrastructure in place.

We have very few "storm drains", here. The streets are intended to carry the rainwater away.

But, rainwater that falls on YOUR property is your responsibility! I.e., you can't use the street as your drainage system!

So, the 5" of rain -- almost half our annual amount -- that we had ONE DAY a week or so ago had to find its way into our own personal drainage systems. I.e., percolate into the already saturated ground in our yards. (Translation: several inches of standing water across the entire yard)

That left the streets to run with fast water that typically carries automobiles away with it.

Of course, a day later, things are manageable. So, just tell people not to drive?

Reply to
Don Y

High density urban environments have to handle all the water. The fools in NYC knew they has a major problem after their experience with Henri and didn't lift a finger to prepare for an Ida.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

They have better uses for our money than public safety.

Reply to
jlarkin

They don't have any capable designers in NYC. They still can't engineer or build dumpsters to put trash into.

The storm is a pretty big setback though. I do enjoy the competition between the slums of Manila and sister-city NYC for highest piles of trash out on the strets. All that work washed away. It's a shame.

Where do you live?

One of the most advanced storm drain overflow systems ever was made in Chicago and the surroundings areas. While the clowns in NY can't even finished a plain tunnel for fresh water in under 300 years this is what was made here

The sizes of the tunnels, lengths and discharge quarry sizes are immense.

A project of this size would not be possible in NY or NJ where there are no local qualified engineers or constructions workers anymore.

Heck, it took a Chicago firm to design the new world trade center. No company in NY was able to design a structure to stand more than 4 stories without collapsing into the streets.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Maybe the climate change fanatic's can figure out how banning fossil fuels will clear the drains.

Reply to
Flyguy

Skidmore, Owings and Merrill is surely as much a New York firm as it is a Chicago firm at this point, they've had offices there since before Merrill even joined as a founding partner.

Reply to
bitrex

Nice try. Nobody in NYC can design or build anything other piles of trash in the streets. They're about as helpless as the saudis or arab emirates without help from actual engineers. It's a real shame, but not too surprising.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

OK buddy, the lead architect of one WTC was from Jersey and had been with the NYC office of SOM since 1984...

Reply to
bitrex

Hard to believe I'm defending NYC of all places, but this Midwest d*****ad is a piece of work. Fuck yo fat corn-fed mama.

Reply to
bitrex

It was an ugly brutalist architecture. And the architect is not the structural engineer. The structural engineers had the good sense to pin the foundation to bedrock, unlike some others we know in San Francisco.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The lead architect for the new One WTC:

Was David Childs, born in New Jersey.

The lead for the old WTC was Minoru Yamasaki who's been dead 30 years. Neither one were "brutalsit" the old one was International-style and the new one is contemporary/modern-style.

Here's Boston City Hall this is "brutalist":

bitrex

Ya the architectural team doesn't know anything about structural engineering. they just draw pictures. "Hey I drew this cool thing can you build this?" "No" "Ok lemme try again..."

Reply to
bitrex

Is Jersey the same place the place they can't build tunnels or figure out how bolts or adhesives work?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Nobody should waste time defending low IQ NYC or Jersey. Get back to your piles of trash bags, broken down train systems, shock hazard sidewalks and collapsing tunnels and cranes.

As for the sinking tower in SF, well, they just need to shit on the sidewalks some more so they sink at the same rate as the building. Easy fix.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That's pretty much it comparatively speaking of the two skill sets. The architects knew they wanted it to withstand 200 MPH hurricane winds, for example, it took the structural engineers to get them there. Generally, lots of give and take between the architects and the developer, and then more give and take between the architects and structural engineers, and doubly more give and take between everyone and builder.

The buildings were typically lifeless 1970s crap- ugly as can be top to bottom.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs