Novel 1.7v Blue OLED

A breakthrough in low voltage blue LEDs announced recently this manages to produce 2.7eV blue photons from an applied voltage of 1.47v! It is the chemical equivalent of a Cockcroft-Walton voltage doubler.

Or for more details the Nature paper (may be behind a paywall)

It is a very cunning design and chemistry.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Fun. I’ll have to try digging up a copy of the original paper.

Could conceivably be important if the quantum efficiency is decent and the drive circuitry isn’t too horrible. (The QE obviously can’t exceed 50%.)

The Science Daily article claims the usual sorts of stuff about battery voltage being this fundamental limitation, as though there were no such things as SMPSes.

It’s far from clear that it’s some huge win needing 2x the current at half the voltage, especially since the power output is bound to be quadratic in the drive current.

If the intermediate state is long-lived, that might not be so awful.

Fun, anyway!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Damnit.

I was very pleased when I had found out that the marketing/design people for a product that I designed had tried to swap out the LEDs from red to blue in some misguided attempt to make the product look like a tacky teenager's car with underbody lighting from the mid-2000s, and had been thwarted by the ~2.5V (IIRC) supply voltage of the microcontroller.

I shall have to prepare a new strategy to prevent anyone from defacing my designs and impunging my dignity.

Reply to
Chris Jones

;)

Fortunately it only works for OLEDs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In the pioneer days of Cree SiC blue LEDs, we used a blue LED as VME module bus access indicator. It looked nice at 50 mA. As blue LEDs got better, customers were whining about being blinded. I think we run them around 1 mA now.

Blue can be annoying.

Reply to
john larkin