"nostalgia" for the old geezers

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Too fuzzy to see anything.

Reply to
John S

Wow look how shiny they look, Those things must be loaded with lead.

Martin Riddle

yeh stupid they didn't film it in full HD it is only 48 years ago /s

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There is sometimes useful information in nostalgia:

I have a series of TEK booklets on video that I still find useful (my surveillance camera clients still use composite video). ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Den mandag den 14. august 2017 kl. 21.42.36 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

absolutely, if nothing else it should put things in perspective when complaining about CAD programs etc.

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Indeed! Fortunately, from habit, from about 15 years of quadrille-pad designing, BC (before CAD), I still "noodle" on paper before hitting the simulator. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Are you suggesting that inexperience and ignorance of electronic history are virtues?

I sure don't miss tape-on-mylar PCB layouts. It could take two people two days to do the schematic-to-layout checks, like in the film. I did that so much with one young lady that we fell in love.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Some of the RadLab books, the technical summary of WWII radar development, are occasionally useful. Certainly interesting. I have the entire set.

I learned a lot by studying various Tek and HP manuals, back when they actually had content.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den mandag den 14. august 2017 kl. 23.28.13 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

rather the opposite

it is something to think about when swearing at some CAD program for being clunky or buggy

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I have the whole set, also.

Once upon a time ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Try that with a chip mask set. That's how I started out in 1962... multiple sheets of tape-on-mylar, stacked using fiducial _holes_ for alignment. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Correction: That was tape-on-stabilene. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

We did multilayer boards with tape on on d-size pin-aligned mylar sheets. We cut the power pours out of rubylith. PITA.

It's much easier with CAD, but then we are doing 10-layer boards now, with 500-ball BGAs, so it's about the same PITA.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Even 35mm film is a lot better than HD.

Reply to
krw

Back in the day there was also one pretty young lady in the drafting department of my employer. She brightened up the whole room. We didn't fall in love.

Matter of fact, back in the day, whole roomfuls of young pretty ladies worked at my employer. They were hired because their smaller hands made it easier for them to stuff components into circuit boards.

Electronic magazines used to publish PCB track patterns and component layouts back then. The patterns and layouts were 1:1, which enabled hobbyists to simply attach a blank sheet of mylar over an illustration and tape away. There's a few taped mylars from the old days squirreled away in my lab for posterity's sake.

IIRC back then professional IC patterns were made larger-than-life and then photolithographically shrunk down to size. A _National Geographic_ from the 1980s shows a guy standing on his room sized IC pattern, piecing it together. The reason for using such a large pattern is unknown to me.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

Try this if you want to be nostalgic and amused at the same time!

Reply to
bitrex

I hear these tran-sisters are gonna be really big someday; we'll probably be using them to talk to each other via CB radio on the Mars outpost in 1985

Reply to
bitrex