The fastest production cars in the world are electric powered

Unbelievably fast...

And so practically silent doing it.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

fredag den 20. august 2021 kl. 12.15.12 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

these guy electrify old classic cars, sometimes using a tesla drivetrain makes them much more useful as daily drivers and often triple the power from original

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I gave that some serious thought, but cars anything much over 20 years old are not such good cars in other ways, like the brakes and steering. Today a typical compact sedan is actually a good handling car (Hyundais aside) with great brakes and overall solid design. Take a car from the 70s or older and they are pretty much crap and most likely are falling apart unless they are babied.

If it weren't for that, I'd love to electrify a Karmann Ghia. Very retro even in its own time!

But I recall driving VWs which were probably some of the worst road cars ever made. Maybe the Ghia was a bit better though.

Rick C

They actually did a Karmann Ghia part of the conversion was upgraded suspension and brakes so a £30k project plus the car

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That takes a lot of the fun out of it. Revving a V8 at a stop light with just enough muffler to be legal is a good part of the fun. Boxers and rasslers talking smack before a fight is too. The noise at a tractor pull tells spectators the driver is giving it all.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Like, all of the fun. Formula E racing is a consistent money-loser because it's so boring.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

many of they regulations are there to stop cost spiraling out of control, pretty much every racing series other than F1 has died from that

they've had some decent races, even managed a few overtakes at Monaco. But they have too many silly gimmicks like a strange qualifying and things like fan boost where people can vote to give a driver a boost of power and many of the drivers race like it's a demolition derby

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Because the cars themselves are so boring. See e.g. roller derby.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I passionately hate noisy vehicles. I'd want to shoot you, but I won't, because contrary to you, I'm civilized and try to minimize the annoyance I cause to others.

In France, there is talk of introducing automated noise traps, like speed traps, but for noise. I'm very much in favour.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

And then they should get those darn kids off your lawn.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

yeh, everything is restricted and limited to keep cost under control

I've sure something like this has many orders of magnitude more smiles per dollar

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm not about to tolerate my peace and quiet being destroyed. by some noisy motor-cross adepts. I have rights too.

There are many vehicles, mostly motor bikes, that have been modified on purpose to make a lot of noise. Those deserve to be punished. I'll defend my right to a quiet environment with all means at my disposal.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

The two FOMs are dollars per millisecond and spectators per race.

Blowing up mosfets is more rational.

Reply to
jlarkin

One un-muffled motorcycle can wake up hundreds of people.

Reply to
jlarkin

fredag den 20. august 2021 kl. 22.35.24 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

you could make it a competition, who can make the biggest bang

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Easily. I live partway up the slope of the Rhone river valley near the Swiss border in France. Due to the shape of the terrain, I can hear a noisy motorbike over many kilometers, especially at night.

The area is dotted with many villages in a similar situation. I reckon they wake up thousands, not hundreds.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I don't deny that there are individuals who seem unable to bear going places without announcing themselves to everyone within a block or two. Long ago my wife and I were at the state park where we usually walk, when we ran into Bill and Hillary Clinton getting out of a stretch limo.

Less-successful self promoters often use megaphone exhausts, et cetera. Round here I run into one a couple of times a week, usually for less than 20 seconds. Not something I'm going to go all Braveheart on, myself.

Is it worse where you are?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You just need a good conscience, then you'd sleep better. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And, likely, there are limits on the amount of "noise" that a vehicle (crowd, party, etc.) can LEGALLY create. But, if they happen to make use of that entire LEGAL range of "noise", where do your rights infringe on theirs?

I.e., yeah, they may be making more noise than is necessary (and, may have deliberately modified their vehicles to do so). But, if they are still below the legal limit, why should they have to "settle" for a lesser amount of "noise"?

What about trucks with those nasty "backup alarms"? Big, diesel pushers? Emergency vehicles?

[We can EASILY hear ambulances/fire trucks/police vehicles passing by almost a mile away -- every night! On winter nights, I can hear traffic along the foothills almost 5 miles away owing to how well noise travels in the winter air. Would any of these things wake me from a slumber? No. OTOH, I lived *on* Massachusetts Avenue with 4 lanes of traffic within 60 ft of my bed...]

If they have exceeded the limits set by statute, yes. If not... <shrug>

We have an annual neighborhood "event" where local bands set up on people's porches/driveways and play music for most of the day/night. It's not particularly GOOD music. I'm not fond of listening to it. And, even LESS fond of the additional motor-vehicle traffic that accompanies (as folks from other parts of town come into the neighborhood for the "free" entertainment).

I can kvetch about it. Or, just "live with it" knowing it's just one day out of 365.

Or, the neighbor's grandkids splashing around (and yelling like young children do!) in their pool...

Indoors, with walls and windows to insulate, it's relatively easy to lose THEIR noise in the noise generated by the TV, radio, other occupants, etc. (yeah, I can STRAIN to hear them... but, I can also NOT make that effort!)

Reply to
Don Y

Sorry, you have already lost that battle. I talked to a Maryland cop once who was the guy who could actually cite a motorist for excessive noise, having both the equipment and the training. (I guess any cop can cite you, but it won't hold up in court without the proper measurement) He was part of the team who set the standards for motor vehicle noise levels in Maryland. For motorcycles he said they flew out to the Harley Davidson factory and measured bikes coming off the assembly line (as if they couldn't do that at a dealer). That was the noise limit, not a consideration of what levels were disturbing or what existed in general in the traffic in Maryland, but a US manufacturer's interests.

So why do you think your interests in not having to deal with noise will be remotely respected?

I'm writing this in Puerto Rico where making noise appears to be a right guaranteed in their constitution.

Reply to
Rick C