The bastards.

TI just discontinued my favorite voltage reference, the LM329. I bought another 250 so I can use them in protos forever, but no more in production designs. :(

Being basically the guts of an LM399 minus the heater and fancy package, they're a good 20 dB quieter than bandgaps, and super cheap while they're still available.

Razza frazza sfmmfmmgn....bastards.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Sorry for you, Phil. I feel your pain.

Reply to
John S

Linear Technology makes them as well:

From a very reliable source I heard that they call just about every customer they know of that ever used it before they would discontinue something. That sort of design secuirty comes at a price though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Good point, thanks. They're more expensive, but on the other hand it's the C (for Crap) grade rather than the D (for Disgusting) grade. (I still have some A grade ones in my drawer from long ago.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It looks as if Digi-Key is carrying both the B and C grades of the LT parts, at the same price.

Reply to
Dave Platt

If you can still get LM399s, then just use them without connecting the heater terminals.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

For the price of an LM399, I can get much swoopier references than an LM329.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I like the LM4140, ssems to have low noise, which I need in a few apps. I have no idea what the long-term stability is.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ADIs ADR series is very nice. Sort of a jfet based bandgap.

 Click to see the full signature

Very "sort of". Some of the ADR parts are real band-gaps, and some are XFET devices. The XFET parts were novel - and patented - when they were introduced, and do seem to be quiet for a low voltage reference.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman