TCXO (shopping for replacement)

Hi All, We have the following TCXO in a product.

We use the 5 ppm version, 4.096 MHz

EOL, I tried contacting Abracon for replacements, but I've heard nothing back. (I'll try the phone later today.)

I've got a bunch of PCB's that need the part. I went looking on Digikey for other TCXO's all are obsolete... (bummer)

The part has a weird footprint, but I can make some 'interface' pcb if I have to.

What vendors, distributors should I look at?

TIA,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh, it's a 5V part. (There seems to be very few 5V XO's!) GH

Reply to
George Herold

makolber

Thanks, I'm looking here too.

(I hope I don't have to buy 1000 pieces) GH

Reply to
George Herold

I've never seen an XO in a package like that, so it's not likely you will find a drop-in replacement.

We like Crystek, Fox, Cardinal, AVX. We always try to use a multi-sourced part, generally the 7x5mm surface-mount package.

There are some dynamite OCXOs in the 1"x1" thru-hole package lately, astounding phase noise and stability for about $75.

lunatic fringe electronics

I did some Googling and found:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Wow! OK I'm giving them a call!

OK, looks promising. I told the sales guy that if they have the part I owe you a beer, he said he'd buy you a beer too. (or some other beverage)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Best of luck. I thought I recognized the package. I've seen it used in old analog only cell phones, and early GPS receivers, dating back to the mid 1980's. If the crystal company was in business during this time period, they probably made a similar TCXO. However, the odd package and the 5vdc power requirement, are probably going to make finding an exact replacement difficult.

I also found the same package used by Toyo/Toyocom/Epson. Unfortunately, that's about all that's useful for this model. The PS voltage and frequency ranges are all wrong. However, if they have the package, they also may have old stock or something laying around.

Thanks, but I don't consume alcohol (except for cleaning off flux and degreasing parts).

Incidentally, the Google search key that I used was: I use an image search first to look for the uncommon package. I also had to use multiple variations on 5vdc before anything appeared. The Toyocom part was found by searching Ebay for a 4.096 Mhz TXCO. I didn't find anything useful, but looking through "similar" hits found a TCXO with the same package.

I didn't have time to check if the pinout on the Oscilent part is the same as the original Abracon part.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Valpey has some decent OCXOs in that form factor, but they sure aren't $75. Whose parts are you thinking of?

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

These two. They are drop-ins, except that one has fatter pins than the other. TAITIEN NA-10M-2051 RoHS ABRACON AOCJY3-10.000MHZ RoHS MORE $

I'm putting a little potting shell cover over mine, which cuts power consumption and improves phase noise.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Coffee? How about a good chocolate milkshake? (Maybe with some greasy food involved.)

Ya the same, I got a call back from Abracon, they will make

1,000 for me.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I just left the local coffee shop. $3.25 for a small hot chocolate made from instant (add water) powdered chocolate. At those prices, I'm in the wrong business. Maybe I'll give up on repair and open a caffeine and sugar dispensary.

Very good. Crisis is over, for now. I suggest that you calculate how long 1,000 parts will last and mark it on your calendar to schedule the next second source panic session.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Maybe you live in the wrong part of the country. If you stop by Buffalo I'll take you to TED's.

The onion rings are awesome and real milkshakes are $4. The dogs are good too, grilled over charcoal.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, -90 dBc/Hz at 1 Hz isn't bad at all for that price. Even better if it'll actually do -95. They say you get a choice of crystals, but I don't see any pricing for that.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

We'll be testing them soon, for time-domain jitter vs time delay, out to seconds. That alone is a tricky measurement.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nah, just use a tape loop. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or use said mark to schedule the next board update.

Reply to
krw

Given two really good clocks, like an OCXO and a rubidium, you can trigger a scope from one and look at the rise of the other. At, say 10 ns/cm, the trace will look steady. Come back a half hour later, and it may have moved a bit. Spooky.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yep, that's what this was for. :)

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

John, did you ever intend for others to make a copy? I tried to find all the information needed, but came to a roadblock. I think it was a missing software problem. If the infomation is available somewhere, please let us know.

Reply to
Steve Wilson