Non-Inertial Navigation Technology

The thread about ROMOS (Re: Scam - but how do they make money?, S.E.D., July 2020) reminded me of another approach to much the same problem, Non-Inertial Navigation, as invented by Val Parker. I heard his talk in 2017, when he was invited to speak at an online internal navigation and time forum. He was invited more from curiosity than conviction.

Here is his present company .

He has two relevant patents, US9753049 and US20120008149A1.

Basically, he claims to be able to detect absolute velocity by optical means. His talk was all about how nice it would be if one could do this, but had little on exactly how it worked - proprietary and so on. They did say that they were having problems getting reliable measurements, and were still debugging the then latest model.

I probed a bit at the principles of operation and what Val said was that light waves basically travel at a fixed speed in space (true), and that if one measured two-way time delay, one could therefore detect velocity by differences in time. This sounds like the Doppler effect for sound in air; electromagnetic waves don't work quite that way.

I was still mulling all this over as I walked out to the parking lot on my way home when it hit me - the underlying principle is identical

zero. And this is a foundation of Relativity, which holds that there is no such thing as absolute velocity. So, what is actually measured here?

The biggest clue was that it reported zero velocity when sitting on a lab bench. Well, that lab bench is moving at 30 kilometers per second with respect to the distant stars, due to the motion of the Earth and Sun.

My impression was that they believe in what they are doing, and are not scammers.

My theory is that Val had created the optical equivalent of a Doppler radar navigation unit, only using laser beams, and there was just enough light leakage out and back into the unit that it was detecting Doppler with respect to the lab environment.

.

One test would be to mount the unit on an arm that is clamped to the lab bench, and enclose the unit with a box, and see if the unit detects box motion even when the unit is bolted to the lab bench.

The next test is to attach the uint to the enclosing box, and see if the unit can detect motion while boxed. And so on. There are many ways to tease this apart without opening the unit.

Never did any of these tests. Was surprised that they are still around. I guess they get research or demonstration grants every so often.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Relativity says that if you're inside a box, you can't measure your velocity. But you can measure acceleration. Any position calculation based on acceleration will pile up errors fast.

I wonder if the 5G cell network will replace the need for GPS in phones. Seems like you could locate pretty well from microcells.

There's Hippolyte Fizeau's experiment*.

Which is about Frensel drag. It's a pretty small effect.

George H.

*I never knew his first name.

Reply to
George Herold

Smart the way he setup his LLC. Made his wife the CEO and principal owner. That way it can get classified as women owned disadvantaged business. That opened some doors for "NSF-National Science Foundation awards the grant to Non-Inertial Navigation Technology, LLC for support of the Navigation Independent Relative Positioning System (NIRPS) SBIR Phase I Project."

( from the web site)

[snip]

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

Not very useful in uninhabited parts of the planet. GPS has planet wide coverage. the cell network does not.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

You can't measure velocity inside a black box - that was established by Galileo long ago, and has been confirmed by all sorts of experiments since. If you try to measure the time dilation effects due to your velocity, you'll get zero - because your clock is affected in exactly the same way.

You could, theoretically, compare the time on your local clock to that of an external reference, and use the difference to calculate your velocity without using inertial effects. You'd have a very hard time trying to do so with an accuracy that was remotely useful. And you'd need access to a high quality external time reference wherever you are - something like the time signal you get from GPS. In which case, you already have the GPS signal and can use that for your position and speed calculations.

Reply to
David Brown

Well, we might only provide location information in places that are inhabited.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

So no good for ship or air navigation then?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Galileo? How would he be able to prove any such thing?

Do you mean Lorentz?

.

Well, ROMOS did not mention any need for accurate absolute timekeeping, but cesium beam clocks are awfully good - no GPS needed.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Hmm. I do recall that effect. Don't think that the ROMOS folk are thinking that way, or that Frensel drag would work as an absolute velocity sensor. If it were, somebody would have used it to refute Relativity.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I was thinking about urban use, finding the nearest bar or something, or navigating roads. 5G should eventually have microcells everywhere.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

GPS does not cover the interiors of buildings.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Location information is boring, the beauty of the GPS is its extremely accurate time information available for free.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

You have never been off the main highways in North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana... The coverage maps are the fantasies of drugged up marketing droids.

Reply to
Dennis

Good point. Tunneling underground is also problematic using 5G or GPS.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

He didn't do anything about the speed of light and relativity (that stuff was figured out by folks like Lorentz and Maxwell, then put together and popularised by Einstein). But he was the one that realised the laws of motion are unaffected by the speed of your current frame. That is why you can play tennis on the deck of a moving ship or juggle on a train. It is also why you can't determine the speed of your box purely from inside the box.

Caesium clocks are good, yes - but if they are inside the box, they are affected exactly the same way as everything else inside the box and can't be used to detect any motion of the box. You need a caesium clock inside the box, and another outside so that you can measure a difference. You need an external reference.

Reply to
David Brown

Ahh. Galileo was making an observation - this effect would have been common knowledge in his day, and he saw its implications in physics.

Right. But at this point, one might as well do two-way Doppler, and skip the Cesium.

Parker's patent US 9,753,049 is pretty clearly written, and their best design is depicted in Figure 5, but I cannot see how this can work, as both arms would have their length reduced by exactly the same amount, whatever the velocity, and so the difference in propagation time would be the same.

This patent cites another patent, US 8,212,023 granted on 3 July 2012, but the title is "METHODS AND INTERMEDIATES FOR THE SYNTHESIS OF PORPHYRINS", and the relevance is quite unclear.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Galileo made a lot of observations (in the sense of doing experiments and looking at the results) combined with a lot of theoretical ideas - basically, he did a lot of science. Many of the things he figured out were /not/ common knowledge in his day, including this one. (It wasn't even common knowledge amongst scientists long /after/ his day - when trains began to get serious, there were many prominent scientists who worried that travelling at such speeds would damage people's brains.)

The common understanding (amongst scientists) at the time was that physics was affected by the speed of an object - after all, you could easily tell you were going at speed based when you went on a boat, a carriage, or whatever.

That makes no sense.

It wouldn't work. It's bollocks.

You don't have to have anything remotely sane or plausible to get a patent. Look up all IBM's patents on faster than light travel for examples.

You don't have to have an idea that is physically possible in order to make money out of it. You come up with something that sounds complicated, pseudoscientific and has potential money-making applications with huge pay-offs. Then you get a patent to make it look real. Then you sell the idea to an investment company. Perhaps you believe in the idea yourself (there are lots of smart people who believe complete nonsense), perhaps you are knowingly scamming the investors. Perhaps the investors also know its a scam, but reckon they can sell the

Reply to
David Brown

al

n.

er is

nd

by

e -

eed

Hmm Well I'm going out on a (Michelson) limb and say it's using the Fizeau effect. I've only seen this in counter propagating water streams... (something like this.)

2.2223112.full?SSO=1

But I don't see how that changes if my whole interferometer is moving. Maybe some hint if you look at Fresnel drag? Maybe it's bogus?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Fizeau drag is with stationary equipment and moving physical media. A direct velocity sensor is moving equipment and no physical media, only vacuum. The media within the instrument is stationary wrt the equipment, or absent (if the enclosure is pumped down).

I'm pretty sure it's bogus, even if it is not a hoax. Although that thought did cross my mind. It would be easy to hide a MEMS accelerometer and integrator within the apparatus. But there are black-box tests that one can use to tell. For instance, an object in free fall has zero acceleration but increasing velocity in earth's gravitational field. Or put the instrument on an arm that is rotating steadily around a vertical axle shaft. The acceleration is only radial, and the tangental velocity is constant.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn