Coilcraft wideband inductor

It almost looks like a hi-Z transmission line, flat for a while, as the TDR step propagates along the coil. Then it remembers to be an inductor.

No visible resonances or capacitance. Nice part.

Adding a 27 nH inductor if anything makes it worse.

This is a nice alternate to a flimsy, expensive conical inductor.

That is a nice part. What's the p/n?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

COILCRAFT 4310LC-132KEB

I think they have some other parts in that series. Looks ferrite-epoxy filled, or maybe just a ferrite rod.

We have a new board, a Mach-Zender modulator driver, that uses conicals. They are giving us a lot of grief, and we need to spin the board anyhow, so maybe we'll use these, probably with a tiny additional inductor. The TDR rise time of these parts is a little slow, around 100 ps.

I should TDR a conical too.

My ole 11802 is being weird about reflection coefficients and impedances at the cursors, so I'm not sure what the impedance of that initial plateau is, but it's a lot more than 50 ohms.