Nokia - Page 4

Re: OT: Motherboards was Re: Nokia

wine is not virtualisation, dosemu is kind-of

file access is possible, (dosemu hs couple of different modes, and I'm
fairly sure one of them makes the linux files available)

I'm assuming you mean they need to be able to launch ltspice.
I think there's a way you could make a fake "swcad.exe" and have that
launch wine and ltspice when run in dosemu

In my experieince ubuntu 10.04 is worse than UEFI

--
?? 100% natural

Re: OT: Motherboards was Re: Nokia

I do it with symlinks. My home directory appears in my dosemu as
C:\UNIX.

God, how I hate drive letters, and backslashes. Not to mention 8:3 munged
filenames :-)

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Re: OT: Motherboards was Re: Nokia

Dosemu isn't a VM, it's an environment that allows running 16-bit, real
mode DOS applications within the 32-bit linux environment. All dosemu
files are part of the native (EXT, or Reiserfs), filesystem. There's no
FAT filesystem, nor is the CPU ever operating in real mode.

You can access your linux files from dosemu simply by making a symlink to
your home directory, within your dosemu hierarchy.
I'm fairly sure you can launch LTspice in wine, from dosemu, with a
DOS-type batch file, I've not tried it (yet).

I think I've already covered that. Using freedos in dosemu, it just won't
happen. The underlying linux OS still controls time slicing.

If your DOS apps are of your own making, I'd be tempted to rework them as
octave code. Octave can talk to Berkeley Spice, which, admittedly, doesn't
have all the LTspice bells and whistles, but might do what you want.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Re: OT: Motherboards was Re: Nokia

Thanks for all the good information. For me, XP in a vm is the way to go.
I can use all the windows programs without having to run wine. I can back
up the entire vdi file in seconds so it is easy to keep updated backups.
I can copy the vdi to another computer and have a byte-identical copy
running on a completely different computer with no change.

More important, I can have several independent vdi's for different
purposes. One example is for online banking. All the logon info is
encrypted in Sticky password manager so there is little risk of id theft.
None of the logon info is stored anywhere else so there is little risk of
having it stolen.

It only goes to my financial sites and is not used for general browsing
so there is little risk of id theft. It has none of the vulnerable
programs such as Flash, PDF, and so on. It has no email so it cannot be
infected by phishing attempts. It has no LAN capability so it cannot be
infected from other vdi files on a network. It has no USB interface so it
cannot be infected by inserting a usbstick.  The vdi file is only used
for banking and is turned off when done. In other words, the banking vdi
is deliberately and completely crippled for anything other than the
occasional banking use.

Many of the worst banking malware, such as Zeus, turn themselves off as
soon as they detect they are running in virtual mode. This is to protect
the authors from honeypots.

I can monitor the condition of all the system files in the different
vdi's so I know if something has been added or changed. This takes only
seconds so it is easy and convenient to do. I do not have to rely on
multiple antivirus programs that cannot guarantee there is no infection.

It is backed up with various rootkit detectors so if a malware tries
hiding, it will be detected. If it doesn't try to hide, it will be
detected with the first method. If one of the other vdi files happens to
get infected with a keylogger, it won't do any good. None of the
keystrokes from one vdi are available to any of the others.

The host runs on Linux and is rarely used for browsing. So there is
little risk of an infection that might threaten the banking vdi. If there
was an infection, it could not cross the boundary between Linux and the
Windows operating system.

I believe this is the most effective way of combining the best features
of Linux and Windows, and it gives the most secure method of using online
banking that is possible to achieve.

JK

Re: OT: Motherboards was Re: Nokia

NVIDIA Tesla K20 is 800 times faster if their website is correct
only 3 and a half grand, but probaly more than 4 after you upgrade the
power supply.

--
?? 100% natural

Re: OT: Motherboards was Re: Nokia

Cuda and Co. have impressive peak speeds, but good luck running Windows
on one. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Google gives away Android, right? That was probably a strategic move to damage
Microsoft. It seems to be working.

--

John Larkin                  Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com   jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Re: Nokia

Microsoft doesn't seem to need help with that ;)
and while Google gives android away most manufacturers of Android
device have a license agreement for patents with Microsoft

so for each Android device sold MS gets and estimated 5-8$

-Lasse

Site Timeline