Nodelling multiple interacting microstrip lines

COuld some electronics guru please shed some light on this ? We know that detailed analytical models(Kirshchning and Jansen, Hammarstadt and Jansen, Getsinger, Wheeler etc.,) exist for calculating the homogeneous and frequency dependent characteristic impedances and dielectric constants for two interacting parallel micro strip lines.

The question is, what about several parallel micro strip lines as on a printed circuit board ? A simplistic approach would be to compute the homogeneous and frequency dependent characteristic impedances and dielectric onstants pairwise, i.e., nearest neighbours (adjacent pairs of transmission lines) only, and ignore the interactions of next nearest micro strip lines. How id this tackled in practice ?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Reply to
dakupoto

I believe this is done in practice using E&M modeling tools. AFAIK, the open-source ones wouldn't be able to touch this.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

Sonnet Lite might do what you want.

 Click to see the full signature

This might help: "Parallel coupled microstrip lines"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the URL. Actually, I have written a straightforward C program that couputes both homogeneous and frequency dependent even/odd characteristic impedance and dielectric constants for a pair of parallel coupled micro strip lines using the Hammarstatdt and Jensen formalism. I am now exploring the more exotic cases.

Reply to
dakupoto

This exactly the material I have used in my C code.

Reply to
dakupoto

I use Appcad for most transmission line calcs. It doesn't do coupled lines, but Txline does.

We occasionally use ATLC or ATLC2 to analyze arbitrary-shape impedances, like on multilayer PC boards. One of my people figured out how to use Sonnet Lite, and it's pretty cool, 2.5D (multiple parallel planes) stuff.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Including directional couplers...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Is Nodeling similar to Noodling except for nodes rather than fish?

Reply to
John S