No data communication on a Galaxy S5

Has anyone heard of any recent data problems on a Galaxy S5? About six or seven weeks ago my phone told me to download an update so I did, and it seemed to install ok. This is on an S5 which I bought from ATT then 3.5 years ago switched to Consumer Cellular which buys tower time from ATT and which has been working fine all that time. I don't use data much, but a few days later I tried to send a text and noticed that it did not have a 3G or

4G connection. Called CC and they walked me through checking various things, and all of the Access Point Name setup had been erased. Unfortunately re-entering all of that did not restore my connection, and they eventually gave up after trying everything they could think of since I hadn't bought the phone from them. I called Samsung and they had me do a few more things with no joy so they sent me to an authorized store for a re-flash. That hung without completing a couple of times so I did a factory reset and that bricked the phone, sigh. Power up, get the music and Samsung screen, then the white screen with blue ball, and there it sits as long as you leave the battery in. Called Samsung back and they said they I would have to send them the phone so they could fix it. Well, that was six weeks ago and they still have my phone but won't give me any updates on when they will finish. Supposedly they have installed a new motherboard and LCD screen but are still waiting on QC testing. Last week I gave up and bought a "new" S5 on eBay, and after it arrived I put in my SIM card and had CC enable it. Did all the APN setup and once again, no data connection. We repeated the setup a couple of times but eventually they gave up, again saying I hadn't bought the phone from them. I did a "check for updates" and it reports that the phone is fully up to date. So, has anyone heard of anything like this happening recently? I find it difficult to believe that that update killed something specific to S5's without there being an uproar on the Internet, and I find it equally hard to believe that I have two S5's that have identical failures. Lots of Google searches have turned up a few tips, mostly a few years old, and none of which have helped. Short of buying a phone from Consumer Cellular I don't know what to do next.
--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

few

One thing that comes to mind is that AT&T might have turned off some 3G cel l sites and replaced that radios at that site with 4G LTE equipment. And t hen, for some reason, your S5 isn't set-up to use LTE.

I worked as a contractor for AT&T for years - trust me - they are SCREWED U P as a company. My first guess is whatever is wrong is on their end, not y ours.

If you can PM with your location (where "no-data" is known to happen), I ca n probably do some checking for you. Or, at least give you their direct es calation # where you will be assigned a "subject matter expert" who will wa lk you all the way through to a successful completion. They call that proc ess the "Presidential Escalation", but it has nothing to do with the Presid ent's office. Not surprisingly, that effort within their Customer Service area is not widely known, but the few times I've had to escalate something, it always had a happy ending. (Of course, that's not to imply the outcome was fast.)

Good luck!!

BTW: I have an S5 on Verizon. Also had a few weird issues; like the phone being erratically unresponsive, etc.. (mostly because I haven't updated it in probably 18 months). I did the update, and most problems fixed. Of cou rse, now it's asking me to update again, barely a week later. I tend not t o update things unless I really have to.

Reply to
mpm

Nope. I deal with mostly Verizon MVNO phones, I would have heard screams of anguish from AT&T users had that happened.

Which mutation of the Samsung Galaxy S5 phone do you have? One model, I forgot which one, does not do 4G. Samsung Galaxy S5 Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus Samsung Galaxy S5-LTE Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A etc... Better yet, what is the SM-Gxxxx model number?

Try going somewhere away from your test area to see if there's anything wrong at the cell site. However, my guess(tm) is that Consumer Cellular or AT&T mangled the provisioning on your account and turned it into a voice only account. I'm not sure how the S5 would respond to such a condition. Duz it show 3G and 4G on the cluttered icon bar for a voice only account? Dunno.

Also, try a different SIM card from a different CC user in your S5. If that works, then it's either a provisioning problem or your SIM is trashed. Maybe get a new SIM will point the blame in the right direction.

If you want to dig into the diagnostics, try going into the field test mode or running various diagnostics:

If you're still stuck, try asking in Howard Forums:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Nope. I deal with mostly Verizon MVNO phones, I would have heard screams of anguish from AT&T users had that happened.

Which mutation of the Samsung Galaxy S5 phone do you have? One model, I forgot which one, does not do 4G. Samsung Galaxy S5 Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus Samsung Galaxy S5-LTE Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A etc... Better yet, what is the SM-Gxxxx model number? ================================================== It's a SM-G900A, sold by ATT, been working fine including 4G for 3.5 years. If this was widespread it would be all over the Internet and I've found nothing, either, so I guess it's just me, sigh. ==================================================

=================================================== Drove 40+ miles one way and 15 miles the other way, from home, no change. No 3G or 4G symbols on the status bar next to the 5 phone signal bars. Used to show them just fine. Trying to connect to the Internet gives "you are offline" if wi-fi is off, and texts just fail to send. Spent a good bit of time on the phone with Consumer Cellular, they found that the APN data had been deleted by that update and corrected that, and then I bought the second phone and they enabled it for voice with no problem and went through all the APN stuff yet again so I want to believe that in all of that they would have noticed if the "data" option had gotten turned off on my account. ====================================================

Also, try a different SIM card from a different CC user in your S5. If that works, then it's either a provisioning problem or your SIM is trashed. Maybe get a new SIM will point the blame in the right direction.

If you want to dig into the diagnostics, try going into the field test mode or running various diagnostics:

If you're still stuck, try asking in Howard Forums:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I don't have another SIM card and I really don't want to borrow one in case
I kill theirs.  I'll read through those links and see what I can find.
Thanks for the help.
Reply to
Carl Ijames

That should work with LTE.

Wrong. I have 2 situations locally with Verizon where the selection of 3G and 4G data is totally screwed up. Verizon won't act because there are not enough complaints. However, you're probably right. Your choices are:

  1. Bad provisioning by AT&T or CC.
  2. Bad SIM card.
  3. Broken smartphone(s). I think we can safely eliminate the cell site.

Got an online account with AT&T? Although there's no guarantee that what the web pile says and what AT&T actually provisions are the same, it's worth checking if you have a data plan on your account.

Ok, so first thing to do is determine why no 3G or 4G icons. Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network mode Set it for "LTE/GSM/UMTS" Kinda basic, but one never knows.

No guts, no gain. For it to work, you will need to registery the MEIN number and the SIM with the carrier. However, it should indicate 3G or 4G even without an account. My test phone did that until 4G was disabled by a firmware update.

Good luck.