nice Mini-ITX box

if you can get the timer to give an early warming of a few minutes it should be easy enough to use the UPS shutdown feature

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

hehe, 31 year high!

Martin Riddle

This timer doesn't seem to have a USB port...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Auto_gear.JPG

Oh, here's my programming environment:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Auto_cubicle.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Auto_shelf.JPG

almost as bad as some Silicon Valley cubicles I've seen.

John

This is standard on every ATX power supply.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

down

I wrote UPS as in Uninterruptable Power Supply, not usb ;)

The idea being; tell XP you have an UPS and that it should shutdown when there's a power failure, get some sort of early warning from the timer use that to toggle the power failure pin in the serialport you have just told XP is connected to a UPS

ohh you have a table? :)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Seems to me like over-kill... using a PC when a cell-phone (*) and a tone detector plus relay would suffice ;-)

(*) Or a land line or a cable-provided phone.

I run my own wireless home phones on a UPS... it'll run for several days if an outage were to last that long. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

You might consider getting a combined cable modem/router/WiFi box there -- you never know, a different cable modem might not lock on you in the first place, and you'd save some space!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, and it is APPLICATION related, NOT OS related as to the losses and failures.

The idiot doesn't even know how to attribute the failure to the right cause.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

No, I replied while that was in my cache, and that is what it put up as quote text. You have to be pretty thick, however, to fail to understand the target of the remark.

They do not have to coincide absolutely. Ther can be HUGE gaps, in fact.

But yeah, John... you should probably buy an accurate timer that you can rely on, not the 'washing machine' variety.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Even the new ones. Well, actually they are shipped with 7 now.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

That link is helpful. I am running Win 7 but I think I can get to the answer from your link. Thanks.

Reply to
John

Damn! He does have a clue about a few things. Hard drives ain't one of 'em.

YES, ALL ATX powered computer (virtually anything running these days)have a 4 second hard power down switch built into the power cycle line. Many MOBO BIOSes have settings that utilize ATX PS features.

We used to make an ATX power supply that would keep a core dump 5 Volt line up for some number like 150 ms after a power drop. That supply ran from 28Volts DC, OR 85 to 265 VAC, OR from a battery, and would auto-switch between the three as needed. Very strong power numbers, and very clean noise numbers. It was for a military computer maker.

If all three sources went down, the 5V rail would stay up for a specified number of milliseconds so that the machine could perform a core dump at that moment.

Have you seen those new hybrid drives with like 4GB of Flash AND 32MB of cache out in front of the magnetic drive areas?

What do you think gets lost when that drive powers down?

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Fuck you, flip flop boy.

Reply to
Bart!

You're welcome.

Reply to
John

You're not my type, dipshit..... er, DimBulb.

Reply to
John

No thanks. I don't want any diseases.

It does not work in Win 7, AlwaysWrong. Got any other technical bright ideas?

Reply to
John

Typical. You post nonsense and blame other people for not understanding what you intended.

All such timers use synchronous motors, so are as accurate as the AC line frequency, which is perfect long-term and rarely off more than a few tens of PPM short-term, at least not around here. The timer is more accurate than the PC's clock.

The problem is power outages: the PC clock keeps ticking, but a mechanical timer doesn't. We have a fair amount of power outages in the winter up here. A few miles west of here, on the crest, they got over 700 inches of snow this winter. That's hard on power lines.

Most of my computer and cable modem problems happen in winter.

John

Most Windows sequential files, if aborted when half-written, seem to just disappear.

John

Does the bios support auto power-up?

Does the supplier answer technical email questions the same day?

The new ones cost $350... if you can find them in stock.

John