Where to get some board-edge BNC jacks/part number?

Looking for those board-edge jacks e.g. Mr. Larkin uses with the two solder-lugs that can be grounded to the plane. Part number at Mouser/Newark would be great if you got it.

Reply to
bitrex

The Vbites?

MFR1 BOMAR CON 361V509E MFR2 ALLIED 202-0450 MFR3 MOUSER 678-361V509E MFR4 NEWARK 80K0248

One thing to be careful about is the PCB thickness. Go for 64 mils max. Deleting the solder mask in the mating area can buy a couple of mils.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Those are nice, but I had more in mind the type I see you use on copper-clad manhattan-style protos, that have the two lugs coming out parallel to the connector barrel and then solder-blob those to the board.

Maye they aren't BNC I can't recall what the end termination was, now...

Reply to
bitrex

They're SMA search "edge launch SMA"

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Looks like they've gone away completely--apparently no one has any stock. :(

We use these ones CON COAX BNC JACK 50OHM BULKHD PCB THRU 13-60-3 DGZ Multicomp $1.41 Newark

CON COAX BNC JACK LOPROF BULKHD PCB THRU 5413879-1 Tyco AMP $4.50

They're die-cast zinc things, which survive the stomp test (ripping an RG-58 patch cord out by stomping on it) but aren't super good for high frequencies on account of the lead inductance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Try Amazon or ebay. They have all sorts of cool connectors.

Amazon has lots of edge-launch SMAs, crazy cheap.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I use edge-launch SMBs for slower stuff. They push on, much easier to work with than the threaded SMAs.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I've tried buying some real cheap SMAs you could melt the isolation. it is supposed to be PTFE so that shouldn't be possible

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On 2020-04-16 19:02, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: [...]

Which were those please? I have uses for SMA connectors without teflon.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I don't remember it was quite a while ago, bought dirt cheap from some random webshop

why no ptfe?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

All Amazon shipments of "non-essentials" are delayed for me, I don't think they consider connectors "essential."

As of last night shortest Prime shipping-time on stuff like that to my location, usually two-day, was about a week, some stuff I usually get there too like SOIC "surfboards" they're estimating a month. :(

Reply to
bitrex

I managed to get my hands on some of these from the local brick-and-mortar parts store which is thankfully (reasonably!) considered "essential" and still doing curbside pick-up from the loading dock. It'll have to do for now:

Reply to
bitrex

Chocolate must be considered essential. Well, it is.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I believe you also like SSMB's? Do you get those in edge-launch as well?

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

BNCs aren't as good as (otherwise identical) TNCs because above 1GHz, they leak around the slots. I forget where I saw the paper that investigated this effect, but I thought it was interesting.

Ch

Reply to
Clifford Heath

No, never use them. I recall extreme insertion and removal detent forces. MCXs on the other hand fall out on their own. SMBs have a nice snap.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Do not worry, if I were doing 1GHz+ designs regularly I would be eating $50 steaks more often I'm sure.

Reply to
bitrex

I'd use them in particle accelerators. Radiation does bad things to teflon. Polyethylene and polystyrene fare much better.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Hi Jeroen,

I just bought 40 of these, for EUR 0.15 a piece, the cheapest I could find in that shape, for use at 868MHz. I just tested one: it does not melt at 380C. I think you will have a hard time finding non-PTFE versions...

Regards, Arie de Muijnck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

Thanks. Indeed, teflon is a great material in almost all cases. Low loss, high melting point, just the right mechanical properties. Alas, only about 1kGy of radiation is enough to turn it into a hard brittle acidic lump that attacks all metal surfaces in its vicinity. Even gold gets tarnished. Connectors become unreliable very quickly.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman