new (to me) 90 degree all-pass

Right. A separate dual-channel arbitrary waveform generator makes the baseband I/Q signals to simulate metal things flying past the sensor.

The latest idea is to use two AD835 linear multipliers, one for I and one for Q. Both get the RF carrier, one straight in and one shifted 90 degrees. Each also gets a baseband signal from the dual-channel waveform generator. The multiplier outputs are then summed to be the simulated sensor output.

The AD835 is pretty nice. Z = X*Y, 4 quadrant, all scaled to 1 volt.

If I can make the box general enough, I can make it the customer's problem to work out all the details.

(I'm waiting for the temp to get up enough to go skiing. It hit 6F at

7AM and is warming up slowly. I don't like to ski below 20F maybe.)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If John had gone to AoE 2 or 3 he might have found the standard 90 degree single pole all pass filter - figure 6.41 in AoE 3.

It goes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees over the zero to infinity frequency range, hitting 90 degrees at the design centre frequency. You could do it with a current feed-back amplifier, but the phase shifting resistor can't be large.

The AD8000 wants to see 50R to ground at the non-inverting input, which would make the capacitor 216pF - 212pF with a more practical 51R resistor.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

and where would you be without AoE and the internet? Most likely not here.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

allpass_1.jpg

ee single pole all pass filter - figure 6.41 in AoE 3.

cy range, hitting 90 degrees at the design centre frequency. You could do i t with a current feed-back amplifier, but the phase shifting resistor can't be large.

would make the capacitor 216pF - 212pF with a more practical 51R resistor.

AoE is a great text book, but it told me very little that I hadn't known be fore I came across it. Cambridge University used it as an undergraduate tex t, and I'd been working at Cambridge Instruments as a senior engineer when it started showing up on the desks of the junior engineers. I asked about i t, looked into it and liked what I saw well enough to buy a copy for myself . It is a handy and well-indexed reference book, but I'd been formed as an electronic engineer rather earlier by what I could dig out of university li braries (which is still rather a more comprehensive source than what's now easily accessible over the internet).

AoE and and the internet are both very handy, but I do pre-date them both, and can't blame either of them for the way I've turned out. You would be ra ther more in need of something to blame - drinking unpasteurised milk is st upid, but it looks as if you've had other - equally foolish - ideas which m ay have done you even more damage.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

rather earlier by what I could dig out of university libraries (which is still rather a more comprehensive source than what's now easily accessible over the internet).

Broken Record.

Reply to
M Philbrook

ote:

deg_allpass_1.jpg

al

[...]

Sadly for Jamie, it's not the record that is broken, but the equipment bein g used by Jamie to play the record. He switches off when his own short-comi ngs come up for review.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I think your PHD is in "Excrementology", because you sure know how to shovel it.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

).

m both, and can't blame either of them for the way I've turned out. You wou ld be rather more in need of something to blame - drinking unpasteurised mi lk is stupid, but it looks as if you've had other - equally foolish - ideas which may have done you even more damage.

being used by Jamie to play the record. He switches off when his own short- comings come up for review.

If you knew the correct contraction for Doctor of Philosophy - which is Ph. D. - you comment might have been less self-defeating.

We do keep reminding you that your own output isn't entirely suitable for p ublic exhibition, but this hasn't improved your sphincter control. Then aga in, you don't seem to be able tell shit from shinola.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've read some comprehensive BS line before, this wasn't one of them..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

There's an exercise in the book "Electron Tube Circuits" by Samuel Seely that asks the student to show mathematically that that topology is all-pass.

I think the date of first publication was around 1948.

Reply to
bitrex

e:

rnet).

them both, and can't blame either of them for the way I've turned out. You would be rather more in need of something to blame - drinking unpasteurise d milk is stupid, but it looks as if you've had other - equally foolish - i deas which may have done you even more damage.

ent being used by Jamie to play the record. He switches off when his own sh ort-comings come up for review.

Ph.D. - you comment might have been less self-defeating.

or public exhibition, but this hasn't improved your sphincter control. Then again, you don't seem to be able tell shit from shinola.

But how would Jamie know? We know that he thinks he knows - but his opinion is clearly worthless.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to