In The Ever lasting Chain Of Experiments The Next Project, ultrasonics, some question about DANGERS

In The Ever lasting Chain Of Experiments The Next Project, ultrasonic anti-fouling for boats.

The asm looks like this, ; Panteltje (c) anfo.asm (anti fouling) Copyright Jan Panteltje 2015-always ; driver code for ultrasonic based anti-fouling for boats. ; ; this ideas is based on the Siliconchip article from October 2000, and the Jaycar kit based on that. ; That kit is expensive, ebay has the transducers for about 15 $, ; and a couple of IRLZ34N MOSFETS and a LM317 with 2 (yes TWO) transducers and a 5 $ transformer, ; some junkbox parts should do it all for about than 50 $. ; Got some nice waterporrof boxes from ebay too. ; See below for my take on the software. ; ; 32 bit signed integer math copyright PETER HEMSLEY ; the rest is copyright Jan Panteltje ; and released under the GPL. GPL violaters will be procecuted. If you use ; this code, you are required to release SOURCE CODE.

; This program is free softlware; you can redistribute it and/or modify ; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by ; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or ; (at your option) any later version.

; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, ; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of ; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the ; GNU General Public License for more details.

; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License ; along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software ; Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

; ; This code is assembled with gpasm in Linux. ; This code likely will not assemble without changes in Microchip mplab.

; **** set TABS to 4 to read any of this ****

; This source file was assembled with gpasm-0.13.5 beta. ; Not tested on mplab

; CHANGES: ; ; 0.1: ; This is a first release, test code

; ; This is from the original siliconchip / jaycar text, found with google: ; Specifications: ; 12 Vdc ; Suitable for power or sail ; Works with aluminium and fibreglass boats (not suitable for timber, ferro cement or fibreglass foam sandwich construction) ; Could be powered by a solar panel / wind generator ; Output frequency range: 19.08 kHz - 41.66 kHz in 14 bands with 200 ns steps. ; Frequency sweep in each band: 12 frequencies ranging from 80 Hz spacings at 20 kHz to 344 Hz steps at 40 kHz ; Signal burst period: 600 ms at 20kHz, 300 ms at 40 kHz (12000 cycles / burst) ; Output drive. 250 Vac ; Supply Voltage. 11.5 V to 16 V maximum ; Current drain: 220 mA average at 12 V driving a 3 nF load ; The large ultrasonic transducer is driven with high-frequency signal bursts ranging from 19.08kHz up to 41.66kHz. ; ; Me, Panteltje: ; It Seems To Me (tm) that this is just how it turned out to be in their PIC programmaticaly, ; nothing to do with the physics of killing lifeforms on the boat's hull. ; Sure using bursts of different frequencies may help resonate things here and there where they otherwise would not. ; spread spectrum, will your fishfinder still work? will your boat shake apart? ; will it chase away or attract sharks? ; Will you be pulled down by an angry huge octopussy? ; There is only one way to find out. ; So we can likely do our own thing, and I do not have the kit neither can I find their asm or hex code for their PIC online, ; found the circuit diagram, and transformer specs, also some waveforms, ; will use a LM317 to make 5 V and this PIC 18F14K22, maybe add some stuff, display, what not, let's see where it goes.

; Sanity check on their story: ; # wcalc ; Enter an expression to evaluate, q to quit, or ? for help: ; -> t20 = 1 / 20000 ; t20 = 5e-05 ; -> 12000 * t ; = 0.6 t40 = 1 / 20000 ; t40 = 5e-05 ; -> t40 = 1 / 40000 ; t40 = 2.5e-05 ; -> 12000 * t40 ; = 0.3 20000 / 12 ; = 1666.67

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In The Ever lasting Chain Of Experiments The Next Project, ultrasonic anti-fouling for boats.

last [k]night I was sinking ^H^H.. thinking:

Since I ordered two 40 kHz transducers, and a 120 Watt capable core, well, ye know,

40kHz -->----------------->--------------- transducer 1 )))))))))))) carrier at 40 kHz 60 W | ^ | --- diode ring bridge ------- transducer 2 }}}}}}}}}}}} double sideband at 40 kHz | ^ | audio step up transformer | ^ | 80 W audio amp | ^ | 'we al live in a yellow submarine' (Beatles) mp3 player

Due to non-linearity in the poor receivers the whole marina and the fish and the divers will enjoy the music.

Need fast HV power diodes for the ring modulator, maybe those TV 15 kHz rectifiers of a few amps (BY??? was it), need to order those. For audio step-up: that also works great with a mains transformer ring core in reverse.

Actually I did make a circuit diagram, put a PIC in the programmer, got the scope over here, did the I/O pin assignment,

wrote large parts of the code, soldered 2 pieces of wire on the PIC so I can test the driver waveforms on dual channel, dead time, frequency, etc.
so maybe today get some signal, transducer and core parts will not arrive for a few weeks, so maybe have software ready before that.

Who needs MPlab and all that stuff, I count 5039 lines of asm so far, assembles OK, written in about an hour from old projects with cut and paste, added OLED status display, and MOST IMPORTANT am adding a current transformer sense and trip using PIC comparator to make the system short and overload proof, replacing fuses is a pain (original diagram has no other protection). need to work on the handling of huge spikes on the 12 V battery input, some big zener in front of the LM317 perhaps, the IRLZ34N MOSFETS have a build in zener for about 60V or so.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi Jan,

Nice project. Can you post ASM?

Reply to
ip

I have another project, when you get some free time. :-) Find out what tune will keep the dolphin away from the fishing boats. Around here, the charter boats and recreational fishermen have a problem with dolphin stealing fish off their hooks. The Dolphin hear the dinner bell (boat motor drone) and follow them out the the fishing spot. They would love to buy a device to keep the Dolphin away. (especially disguised as a anti fouling device.)

We ran our transducer amps class E, then you could use the Audio amp to drive the B+. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Perhaps the sound of a killer whale pack on the hunt.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold