Neon Transformer Question

Oh. I thought that is a subset of having fun.

My film was some Kodak BW left over from my photo hobby days. ASA 400 speed 35mm stored in the refrigerator in a metal can. I got into the TC stuff around 1992 and have moved on from there.

The film was in lead envelopes (made for 5X7 cut film packets) with a window of several layers of black construction paper. Ordinary paper envelopes would fog and from the lines I was getting it looked like there was some corona down close to the film. The lead foil envelops was from some stuff I bought surplus to make fishing sinkers.

I wasn't really interested in trying to produce X-rays . . . it just surprised me when I saw the glass in a lamp fluoresce and wondered why that was.

Reply to
default

BTW, vacuum tubes are well known to produce a blue fluorescence where electrons strike glass. This is a low energy phenomenon, as low as 100eV. I don't claim to know what mechanism produces this blue; oh, heck, I should take it to a spectrophetometer and see what wavelength(s) it is.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Reprint of a Scientific American "The Amateur Scientist" article on building your own X-ray machine

Using a Tesla coil excited with a "kicker coil," and an old radio tube for the X-ray emitter.

Reply to
default

A lot of that depends on who is interested, why they are interested, just what materials are involved (PCBs?). There is usefully recoverable amounts of ferrous metals and cuprous metals if no adverse materials are involved. You could make small Jacob's ladders with them.

Reply to
JosephKK