need to step up 3V (2 AA) to 5V for a USB devicer (max draw 500 mA)

can anyone point me to an IC that i could use to fairly simply and efficiently step 3v from 2 AA cells to 5V for powering a USB device. i have been searching and have come up with a few, but im not exactly sure what i should look for.

if you could also let me know any other components i will need, and a basic run through of how to set it up i would appreciate it a lot. thanks

Reply to
zip2two

National Semiconductor's web site will pick a part for you and design the circuit, all online.

John

thanks for the resource.

using the requirements of Vin = 2.2 - 3 V and Vout = 5V Iout = .5 A i came up with a LM2702-ADJ. the other features such as building the circuit are not offered for this product (at least i didnt see the options like it shows in the help video). any further assitance would be appreciated

Reply to
zip2two

Alright, I am coming up with some things that seem like they would work at the sites I am being sent to, but I still havent recieved any solid guidance. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me the appropriate parts and help me figure out the other pieces I will need. Im sorry Im such a beginner, but I really appreciate any help.

Reply to
zip2two

If you want it really simple, go to the Maxim

website and look at switch-mode DC-DC converters. Look for parts with EV-kits, those are prebuilt evaluation kits. The MAX1708 has a fixed output of 5 volts, at up to 2 amps, with input from 0. to 3.3 volts, and an evaluation kit available. MAX 1763 is an adjustable output, 1.5 amps max, with evaluation kit available. MAX1524 is 1 amp.

Order one of the EV kits, and they'll send (sell!) you a working board.

Can't get much simpler.

--
Namaste--
Reply to

wrote

Go to the Maxim site. If you don't like Maxim then try Linear Technology.

These are standard parts [as standard as things get these days...]

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Is going with either Maxim or LT a personal preference?

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

You might as well allow Vin go all the way down to 2.0 V. Maybe even

1.8. The lower you go, the more you will get out of your batteries, although there isn't any point in going below 1.6, I think. Also, fresh batteries are about 1.6V each, so you might want to go up to 3.2. Then again, as soon as you start draining at 700 mA or whatever, the Voltage should drop instantly, so maybe 3.0 is a good upper limit after all.

By the way, how long do you need the batteries to last? I don't think AA's are going to last very long with a drain of 800 - 1500 mA. I doubt you will even get two hours out of a fresh set of batteries.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

"Jeroen" wrote

For some, yes. Maxim had a bad shortage situation that they handled very badly. There is a lot of bad feeling towards Maxim as a result. Some firms have a 'No Maxim' policy on new designs - stupid as that may seem: wait long enough and you'll get screwed at least once by everybody and everybody will be on the blacklist.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix  . netcom . com
Nicholas O. Lindan

Why not simply take the 5V from USB? I have done that without any problem....If you don´t need more than 500 mA it will work for you.

Reply to
malvarezdel