Low dropout 5v regulator (up to 800 mA)

You'll also have to define "low". Normal follower output regulators drop about 1.5 volts, so anything lower than that is somebody's low drop out.

Reply to
John Popelish

Here is one that might suit you:

John Popelish

Would anyone suggest a IC that is a 5V, low dropout voltage regulator (regulating output from a rechargeable battery pack), up to 800 mA current.

thanks

Ignoramus15609

LT1117 LT1118

Reply to
Martin Riddle

On first sight, looks like just what I need!

thanks!

Ignoramus15609

An attractive feature of the tps79650 family is the noise-filter pin in the fixed-voltage versions, which I've put to good use.

I just wish they were also available in TO-220 style packages. It's rather hard to get much heat out of the surface-mounting packages, even with many square inches of copper. One craves the good old heat-sink fins.

Reply to
Winfield

Winfield, something makes me confused, they say that maximum Vin is 6 volts? (input voltage). If so, then they would not work for my 6.7v (actual) battery pack.

I agree, I like TO-220 myself too.

Ignoramus26085

LM2940 (5V version)

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Yep, those are strickly low-voltage parts - I've used them for making 3.3V from 5V, or 1.8V from 3.3V, etc. For higher voltages, and for +5, etc., we use parts from the Linear Technology LT1084 and LT1085 family.

That's another reason why we use the LT1084 and LT1085 parts.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Win, right now in my DigiKey basket I have digikey item LM2940CT-5.0-ND. It seems to be all I want and has very low dropout at lower currents.

It is described here

I think that that's what I will buy, though it only goes to 1A, but that would be a good start for me.

Ignoramus26085

I do use those, but I prefer the LT1084 and LT1085 because of their higher maximum current (for a better safety margin), and the much lower 0.75 and 0.9 C/W vs 4.0 C/W thermal resistance. 'Course at $6.50 vs $1.35, the NSC LM2940 is somewhat cheaper.

NSC does win the dropout-voltage contest, at 500mV vs 900mV at 1A load. That's because they have a high-current PNP vs LTC's Darlington NPN pass transistor. However, LTC wins the 2.5A dropout-voltage contest, at 1.1 to 1.2V vs awwwkk! And, LTC wins the high-current saturated-output ground-current draw, at an attractive 0.05mA vs an ugly 130mA. Gag me with a spoon!

Reply to
Winfield Hill

A little progress report, I soldered solid copper wires to the little tab terminals of the battery pack, milled out the AC charger a little bit so that the copper wires do not obstruct inserting the battery pack, and ordered "chips". The wires are approximately 16 gauge, quite solid.

Ignoramus26085