Need to non-intrusively detect current through a wire, 10-300A...

Hi,

I will start by saying that I am very new to electronics design... mostly simple circuits using PICS, integrating components (PLC's, relays, etc.), general hacking... so, please excuse my newbie-ness. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I have an application I'm playing around with where I need to detect current running through a large-gauge cable. The current ranges from

10-300A. I just need a binary response... if there is current running, I need the sensing unit to output a signal to my PIC. It would be great if there was someting out there that could be board mounted and compact.

Is there any straight-forward solutions for this? I have looked at a few white-papers about hall-effect sensors, but got bogged down by the amount of technical detail. Any suggestions for components and sources for straight-forward info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam S

Reply to
Adam S

DC or AC?

--

Boris Mohar

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Actually both... it is an ac/dc arc welding power supply.

Reply to
Adam S

If you need to sense an existing wire, a hall effect sensor or a magnetic sensor such as those at nve.com would give you results. Current transformers are also available where the wire goes through the transformer, requiring the sense wire be part of the assembly.

Reply to
John_H

David

Reply to
David Collier

On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:50:23 -0700, Adam S wrote: ...

Sure!

:-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to