Need large EMP.

Sunspot activity is increasing, We think it may be because our solar system is passing threw a bar of dust in our galaxy.

We need to detonate an H-bomb powered EMP , on the far side of the Moon to ping off the inbound asteriods that bombard and heat the Sun, to predict how the Sun will be effected in the future, and then use the reflection to determine the inbound asteroid flux.

Sunspots are crater's on the Sun. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

There is a small problem: nukes don't make any EMP in space. The EMP is a feature of an air blast at the meduim height.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I think E. Doc Smith proposed ( in a scifi book) using a sun as the cathode of a tube, a planet as the anode, to create immense weapons.

I forget the details, as it was pre Douglas Adams

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Who are you trying to fire the moon at?

Reply to
ian field

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:74b9b37c-039b-480d- snipped-for-privacy@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Sunspot activity is at a dead minimum, as it is every eleven years or so.

No.

(rest of mental fluffery deleted)

--Damon

Reply to
Damon Hill

Who exactly is "We" ?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Wouldn't the MI5 Persecution poster be a better target?

Uwe Bonnes

If you pluralized craters with an apostrophe, why didn't you pluralize sunspots with an apostrophe?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Edward Teller invented an enhanced nuclear powered X-ray laser...a one shot deal. I've read there are designs for A-powered enhanced EMP devices.

Regards Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Google "maunder minimum"

a let your quest for knowledge begin! Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Me, Bush and few other fella's who think the moon is a good place to go to. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

No need to worry, just wear a tinfoil hat while watching re-runs of Armageddon.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

You need to use Charmin.

It gets rid of the Klingons; the assroids will clear up soon after.

Tim

Tim Williams

Too bad the guy who says "Don't squeeze the Charmin" just died.

LOL, Tim I recall your calculation about a current through a wrench, so I'll try a bit of math. Suppose the Earth gets 1 BIG meteor strike every

100,000,000 years. Using that as a probability base, how many would the Sun get?

The Sun is 100x Earth's diameter and thus 10,000x the Area, so it's a bigger target. The Sun is ~1,000,000 times heavier and so is 10^6 x more attractive. Putting that together makes the Sun 10^10 more likely to be hit, IOW's 100 BIG hits / year. Add to that the higher velocity of impact, make it an Iron asteroid/meteor and you get a fair clump of iron moving threw the Sun's magnetic field very fast.

There's some dynamics for you. Regards Ken

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

That doesn't make it 10^6 times more likely to get hit, it just means that things that orbit need to do so faster for a given orbital radius. I guess that might mean it gets hit by faster objects, except that those are the same objects that threaten earth.

Have you never looked at the surface of boiling soup? Convection is quite sufficient to account for hot&cold spots.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

If so, then it is increasing, or will be in exactly one instant.

--
John
Reply to

True for internal elliptical solar system orbits., but I spec'd inter-galatic dust, and they would follow a hyperbolic trajectory. Using good ole Newton's acceleration in the direction of the Mass "M", (a= GM/r^2 ) the "a" is propotional to the Mass.

I was born in 1953 and in that ancient day there was no photos of the "far-side" of the Moon. In the 60's they became available and I was astonished that the far side was much more cratered than the side that faced Earth, wow. Why is that?

Sunspots are a mystery because they do weird things. They are cooler, have strange magnetic properties and flare up to emit ions that flood our Earth's magnetosphere generating aurora's, when interacting with the so-called ionsphere.

Solar convection theories are hard pressed to fully explain Sunspots, especially because they are so localized and do not follow any pattern.

Regards Ken S. Tucker

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Ah, but you didn't! You specified a large metallic meteor with 100My average frequency, not intergalactic dust! ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

I buried that spec in the fine print of my OP, " We think it may be because our solar system is passing threw a bar of dust in our galaxy. "

Astronomers call anything that doesn't go nuclear and shine, "dust".

An outstanding problem is that "radar-ranging" is effective at radius^4 power, (that's what I know from conventional science). If we can design a nuke powered EMP and do a ping from a satellite orbited to the far side of Moon, our Radio Telescopes will be able to get the Range and Doppler returns, to know where the hell we are going, from the reflection off that dust.

Nukes are cheap. We need to convert as much energy as possible from a nuke to EMR to consider the mission feasibility...that's an Electronics Design problem.

Comments Welcome. (But please do not comment until everyone else has;-). Ken S. Tucker

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker