need data capture, stat analysis, graph display software for PC

cool thanks, although my autoreset works ok but il def look at that too. although I initialy forgot to reset the thing if I didnt have to wait then i forgot to check to not reset it if there was more there, id forget my head if .. oh wait ...

Yeah I saw that in a google search, scaned through about 10- pages of stuff and thought geez my brain is already starting to melt trying to take in new lang dev system etc. all i want to do is 1 line like sscanf(s,"%d:%s:%d,%d|%d,%d\\n"... I could porobably write a whole sscanf function in less time it takes to read and digest all that. I remember long ago it only took me a few hours to write a whole sprintf() wich was reentrant friendly.

sscanf was realy out of place in c++ too, I gues its time it went, but not in quite this way.

Instead I wrote a function wich just tryParse 1 variable at a time with given delimter and skip chars, and wich advances the string to the next unread point. I only need int and string so no biggy. works like a charm as the format can change depending on what %s is anyway.

Im sure regex is realy powerful though.

Its interesting that c# is an awkward name as # is an often an illegal char eg in wikipedia as a title. havnt got the hang of thinking csharp yet :s

Aso I couldnt find c# in any of the .lang newsgroups ? This thread has become purly software now, I hope its not trying the patience of those who like to make noises about keeping this group on topic too much.

But im probably on my way to seeing it through now anyway so thanks for you much appreciated help :) Theres probably a lot il not know about c# even after ive finished.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

It took me about 2 years to become really proficient, and had C++ and java background going in -- there will always be a learning curve !!

good luck with the rest of the project !!

Reply to
John Barrett

Maybe, maybe not. It was a while ago but i knew people that did word processing, including typesetting, in Lotus 123. They did not understand how anyone could not see the value of doing so. Nor is everyone skilled in driving spreadsheets to do the the things that they do well. There are many alternatives for numerical or statistical analysis of data.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Oh Joy, running in full 64-bit mode the FPU with SSE2 and SSE3 64 bit extensions can make a kick butt FFT machine, embarrass a DSP it can. There are limitations, and step and stride issues for large datasets. Plus if the code is not carefully hand or otherwise well optimized for x86-64 you do not get near the performance possible.

With the stated processor agreed.

An interesting use of the concepts found in the C++ STL and some influence from ADA generics.

Interesting, kinda X-windows like.

Separate thread definitely. Partition the thing into a tool chain, much like Pre-IDE software development became.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

How about a data analysis package? There are several free ones: Octave (matlab-compatible), R, Scilab, all have excellent statistical toolboxes, as well as FFT, and more. Available on Windows and of course Linux.

przemek klosowski

Ohh I agree -- nothing particularly NEW -- but 1000% more ACCESSABLE -- dont have to jump through near as many hoops to use all these neet things as you did with C++/STL/PThreads/etc !! which is exactly how it should be, and why I avoided C++ after years of using it when visual basic and java became available... I got sick and tired of having my logic obfuscated by over-complicated interfaces to basic functionality. It is a pure joy to be able to concentrate on the flow of the application without the hassle of obscure low level functionality getting in the way :)

Reply to
John Barrett

Thanks, well its coming on quite well, in fact its been running for a day or so now and collected quite a bit of stats,

It captures the data and records it, and also displays all the old data and updates it with any new data

I found a 2d windows component of that site you gave a link to, its basic but it at least gives me an indication if the processing is going horribly wrong or not.

It interesting language, its also interesting the memory usage climbs to >100mb then drops down to 2mb !

got to about 1000 lines of code before I rewrote it, split it into files and used structs in place of classes for the primitive data structures, then had to explicitly reference the functions wich would otherwise be global in c++. keep trying to do things wich are possible in c++ but find i cant in c#, like i wanted to overide += for a complex struct, but couldnt wich meant it had to waste time creating a interim struct for the return value in -. but it runs fast enough.

as for the data it has a standard deviation of 1000ps, but my stat maths is a little rusty, does averaging reduce the uncertainty in proportion to the number of samples or the root ? im looking for 0.1ps resolution, but averaged over a number of days. (hopefuly not too many)

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin