Timed on/off switch

Hi, this is my first post here, and I looking for either a component or a circuit design for a special project I am doing.

Basically I need a component that switches the current running through it on and off at a frequency of about 1-6 Hz.

I am fairly apt at soldering a general circuitry so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

-KV

Reply to
kielvereecken

Well without knowing how much current and the nature of the load, we can only guess. Perhaps a SSR of some kind would be your friend here, all the hard work's already been done. Then I suppose you want something to generate the 1-6Hz signal (BTW thanks for not writing hz or HZ) could be anyhing from a 555 to a microcontroller controlled by a GUI on a PC. We really need more details.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

A gerbil and a mercury switch?

Note: Really sorry about that. You got some good responses already. For some reason, the low tech idea of a gerbil on a treadmill has a certain appeal this morning. I knew better than to switch coffee brands this late in the week...!!!

Reply to
mpm

6 times a second.?? That gerbil is going to need more powerful coffee than what you're drinking.

It's a little risky giving gerbil ideas to the newbies...The next post could be, "The wire keeps getting all twisted up."

A good gerbil implementation could be:

1)A belt on the treadmill turns a small opto wheel. 2)An electric shock system keeps the gerbil going at roughly constant speed.. :P 3) Redundant gerbil system on standby D from BC
Reply to
D from BC

Just be sure and wrap it in duct tape so it doesn't blow up when you f*ck it.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

Good to freak out the gerbil on standby.. "And that's what happens to gerbils when they give up on the treadmill!" D from BC

Reply to
D from BC