Back to the the EXPLAIN PUMP SWITCH operation

I had a previous thread, but ignore it as I have the details correct this time.

To start the motor did spin when powered.

I helped my neighbor disassemble a pump motor, we needed to hold the rotor in order to remove the broken impeller, so we pulled the stator off to get access to the rotor. We had to remove the centrifugal lever assembly from the shaft in order to remove the stator. We remover the broken impeller and reassembled the motor. Reinstalled the centrifugal lever assembly and the switch the it operates.

Now at power up the motor just hums. The rotor spins freely.

We didn't unhook any wires, just pulled the stator off to get access to the rotor. I marked the end plate and stator and put it back together the same way.

Any ideas, why the motor hums.

I want to understand the operation of the motor.

First I'm aware of motors with a start winding, it is energized until the motor spins fast enough to move the centrifugal lever assembly which open the switch to de-energize the start winding.

On this motor the centrifugal lever assembly CLOSES a switch when it gets up to speed. Opposite of what I thought would happen. The motor has a start capacitor and another part I'm I not aware what it is. Here is a picture of the same type motor. In the picture the wrench is causing the centrifugal lever to swing and open the switch, it can't be seen well in the picture. Also the black part with three wires, white, yellow, and blue, what is it's function.

Thanks for your help, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I think I have found the problem, not sure what I need to do to fix it, but it will become clear. This website,

indicates the switch is held CLOSED by the centrifugal lever, and opens when rotated fast enough. I have it assembled so the switch is OPEN and CLOSES when at speed. So either I reassembled the lever wrong or reinstalled it wrong, but I think I have a handle on it now. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

amdx prodded the keyboard

The centrifugal switch always breaks the starting circuit when the motor is almost upto speed and the other device looks like an overheat/thermal switch. It should disconnect the power when it gets hot enough to trip. Sometimes they self reset others have to be reset manually.

--
Best Regards:
                       Baron.

Ok, got it working. To remove the centrifugal lever assembly from the shaft, it needs to be disassembled, because you can't reach the screw to turn it. When I reassembled it, I put the weight on backwards. Oh well, it's working now. I'm sure glad, I ordered a $54 dollar impeller for my neighbor, and then I couldn't get the motor to work again. I was the one that convinced him to tear it apart and see what was wrong, instead of buying a new pump. The problem was the impeller was broken from the shaft.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

amdx prodded the keyboard

Hi Mikek, Its all part of the learning curve. :-) Glad you got it sorted. Broken impellers are fairly common ! It only takes a tiny piece of grit to get caught between the blade and case.

--
Best Regards:
                       Baron.