Handheld Oscilloscopes

I'm looking for opinions on handheld oscilloscopes. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, something like a TPI 460

would suit me well, since it looks to be well-designed with a 3 year warranty, and doubles as a standard multimeter. But, I really don't need anything rugged, and a higher sampling rate would be nice. The Protek 840 looks very nice for a few hundred extra dollars, but I'm not familiar with them.

I'd prefer new over used, and looking to spend US$1000-1500. Any good or bad experiences? How about these Chinese OWON brand scopes, anyone use these?

Reply to
hondgm

You might like this one better. it's not quite 600V, it goes up to 400v. other than than , it makes for a nice thingy.. it's a DMM and Dual scope in color., all inputs are isolated from each other, that makes it nice for testing different sources with out causing shorts.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Yes, to add to it., i just bought one of those OWON. if you look at the URL i gave you, i think you'll like the price.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

The Velleman HPS40 samples at 40 Ms/s, and has a DC roll function whIch i find useful.

It is however somewhat `hobbyist' with a rather poor rubber keypad. Howver, it is only about £230 in the UK .... you pay your money and take your choice.

Reply to
C W

I just picked up this one. HDS1022M

I like it so far except for 2 things. the voltage handling could be 600 Volts instead of the 400 volts, but i understand i can get a voltage wedge to multiple the input.

The other problem is, the Color screen does not use the CCFL type of LED system, it's a light less screen except for the backlight option which i have to have on and it really does not show it as bright as i would like. if i work in a well lighted area with the light directed on the screen it then seems to be use able with out the backlight on. batteries are 6 hours Lithium. other than that, it's nice..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Thanks for keeping us updated. What is the build quality like?

Reply to
hondgm

The Build quality is very good. It's much better than i expected. All function buttons have lighted blue illumination which really makes it look sharp and easy to find. I do kind of frown on the insulated BNC's being used to insure isolation between grounds etc.. I can see it's very hard plastic on the out side barrow...

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Jamie:

My Leader LBO 315 is in for repair. I have a loaner LBO 326, but it doesn't have the 12vdc option, so I need a portable. Would really like to get a Tek 710 etc, but the HDS1022M looks ok.

Can you post some pics of the display?

I plan on using it as an automotive ignition scope, both underhood and in the passenger seat while on test drives, so the lighing conditions will vary greatly.

Can you elaborate on your comment about the BNC connectors? Plastic barrel instead of metal?

Is there provision for external triggering? What about trigger level adjustment?

Reply to
jpizzuto

The BNC's receptacles are made of a hard Plastic, or at least that's what it looks like, this is for isolation, there seems to be an inner metal liner of the receptacle for the ground (shield). The probes are of good quality, i was surprised there. As i said before about the display, it's a little soft lighting wise. you'll need to use the back light. it's an LCD display much like a black LCD reflective type. It does not have passive back lights like our LCD monitors. I'm sure they have a name for it's type.

As far as triggering, you can use for example, CH2 as your trigger source if you need to have CH1 to trip on an external trigger or vis-vera with a few set points you can select to have it trip on.

P.S. I've noticed that they now have a 60 Mhz version. But the place where i got mine for ($499) only sells the 20 Mhz version. All other places i have seen selling this unit really wants an arm and a leg for it. Below is some one's poor edition of a manual. you will see a real photo of the unit when on, you'll also see the reflection of the person that was holding the camera when the picture was taken. The display isn't as bad as it shows in that picture. and the graph displays are actually sharper in real life.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Jamie:

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Do you think the backlight is turned off in that photo? It's pretty dim.

If you have time, could you email a couple pics of a typical display, and toggle the backlight?

4096 colors, but the traces are fixed at Red and Blue? Ok, better than mono.

What was the delivery time after you ordered?

Reply to
jpizzuto

The Display is brighter than what you saw, the backlight was mostly turned off in the photo. delivery time was prompt, they sent it out on the day i called them , i had it here the next day actually and that was standard 3 day UPS But then again, i am next door to them in a normal UPS run... I would be careful in using in for the ignition system, there are some high voltages in there that can cause damage to the unit. as far as the colors? , i think you can tailor those. i don't have a camera handy here to give you any photo's.. Sorry.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Jamie:

The manual states 400v max input to the scope, and the probes are spec'd to 300v.

I design ignition timing controllers, so I'll be looking at internal logic signals with one channel, and the coil negative terminal with the other channel.

The coil negative signal spikes from 0v to 300-400v in 5usec, at spark time.

Looks like it shoud work.

Reply to
jpizzuto

Jamie:

Order placed, selected free UPS Ground shipping, so I doubt if I'll see it before next Friday.

Reply to
jpizzuto

Ok, it showed up yesterday, and I'm very impressed. I haven't played with the DVM section yet, but the scope is a real instrument.

It has no problem showing 1 usec pulses. It also has a zoom function (forget what they call it) that lets you bracket a section of the waveform, then you push a funtion key and the time base changes, zooming in on the specified area.

I'll put some screen shots on my site when I have time.

Reply to
jpizzuto

Hi jpizz/Jamie,

Do you have some more feedback now that you have played a little with the HDS1022M ? Good things, bad things ? ;)

Actually, I just bought an USB oscilloscope for the PC, Hantek DSO-2100, and I am quite disapointed by its triggering capability (cannot trigger correctly on a 5V 500uS pulse, very annoying) and the poor PC interface. The software piss me off...

I was thinking getting an OWON PDS5022S for its reasonnable features for my projects and also for its ability to run on battery cells... It pretty much looks like a Tek TDS1002 or TDS2002, and it sould be enough for me.

Then your two reviews made me think of getting the HDS1022M that looks very sweet...

Can you comment on some limitation/comparaison with the PDS5022S ? Is the 60MHz (HDS2022M) add real value for the money in your opinion ?

I am also mainly working on card for engine ignition... I do not have really high-frequency (Nothing more than 5MHz for digital signals, analog stuff are much lower frequency...)

Thank you for your help !!

KTy

Reply to
ktylife

you can get the 60 Mhz if you wish, i really don't think it would make that much difference for you in your kind of work how ever. as far as the USB scope, I find it's best to get a lot of reports and views before buying of those. It's not just the scope it self, but the Windows interface. Due to it's non real time response you get on your screen, i don't see it as a useful thing. i also find it harder to lug around a lap top when you can put it all in a single screen in your hands. like i said before, the screen could be a little brighter, other than that! it's a perfect hand held. Also, i like the fact that inputs are isolated, this makes it easy to connect to multiple isolated commons.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

quoted text -

Thanks Jamie ! Battery life is good ? Can you do some sort of firmware upgrade or not ? The oscilloscope parts is "good quality" in your opinion ? I don't want to be disapointed once again...

Do you use extensively its triggering and recording capability ? I am especially interested in this aspect... Memory depth enough ? Trigger correctly ?

Can you also switch easily between "Digital Measurement" and "oscilloscope" functions without having to unplug things ?

You said you had some picture on your website, please post or send me a link !

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions !!

KTy

Reply to
KTy

Why would you spend any money for a USB scope? A very good quality used top-of-the-line (20-years ago) will serve you just fine probably and can be had for less price.

If you want the performance of a *real* scope, buy a *real* scope. Even a used one. FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

It comes with a CD for that has a windows base interface that you use with the USB/Serial option port at the top left.. I haven't installed that yet, so i can't give you any details there. As far as recording, It has a 6k point capture with 4 screens of memory along with a data transmission settings to connect to the PC. The Data can be set up to be sent to the PC as Bitmaps or Vector. And as far as I know, there is no option ( or at least i didn't see it) to do firmware upgrades. As far as images, I don't remember saying i was going to put any up on my web sight? Maybe my memory is getting short ? And the inputs can be left on at all times. The DMM and scope inputs are all separate. You don't need to unhooked any leads when switching. You just push the button on the panel to Scope or DMM. You note how ever, I don't think there is a way to show both the DMM and Scope at the same time but, the scope does give you voltage levels etc.. I have another hand held (LCD) that is a simple dual channel scope of only 5 Mhz, that uses the same leads for both DMM and SCope. I use that one for a bag around meter and it's costing about $399 last time i looked. The DMM is not as wide functioned as you would like it how ever, it does use scope trace line to show the response of the signal when doing the voltage, RPM's etc.. have you looked on line at the the DOC's?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Sorry, I hate this kind of oldschool approach... There are some USB scope out there that are really worth the money, way more than an old used analog untransportable scope... But you have to pay the price ! And I did not, that's only the point ! For me an analog scope is missing 50% of the functionnality of modern scope I need, that is, recording capability to analyze from time to time (mostly) digital non-repetitive signals.

Reply to
KTy