Multiple power strips daisy-chained, code?

I could ask a co-worker of mine. 'e used to work for UL and tested circuit breakers among other things.

Reply to
JosephKK

in

breakers!

I see one other important difference, NEC is written by Engineers with input from Fire Marshals; Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) is basically an insurance industry house.

Reply to
JosephKK

I am suspecting a noun name confusion here. Power strips are one thing, relocatable power taps are usually mounted directly to the busway that provides their power and the busway is mounted to the building. IIRC.

Reply to
JosephKK

outlets in

breakers!

Yes. Though, ideally, insurance underwriters and fire marshals would have the similar motivations and come to similar conclusions. I don't think Joerg will get an acceptable answer to his question.

Reply to
krw

outlets in

breakers!

The last word of his query title gave him his answer, except that it was missing one word... local.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I know what you mean.

But "Relocatable Power Taps" is the UL category for plug strips. "They consist of one attachment plug and a single length offlexible cord terminated in a single enclosure in which one or more receptacles are mounted."

--
bud--
Reply to

Sounds good as long as some of the signs are in Englisch...

Reply to
bud--

outlets in

breakers!

Yep, I was hoping not but I am afraid it is the case. The law is local :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Non sticken in dere den vaccuum machines :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If you look at a copy of the NEC, the code panel members are listed at the start of the book. Members of a code panel typically represent engineers, electricians, contractors, manufacturer trade groups, inspectors and assorted others like UL. Not likely more than one engineer (representing IEEE) unless they represent a trade group. Fire marshals (along with anyone) can suggest and argue for and against changes. Reasons for the change must convince the code panel. As krw said, dead bodies are among the more effective arguments for a change.

I believe UL started as insurance affiliated. I haven?t seen anything good on how the standards are written now. The only source I have seen said manufacturers are involved in the process. I doubt insurance companies are. Insurance casualty information is probably of great interest.

The NEC's interest in power strips is probably only that they not not be a substitute for permanent wiring (like through walls or be used in place of a required outlet) and that power strips be acceptable (usually meaning UL listed).

UL (in the White Book) prohibits chaining. No reasons are given. In effect, chained power strips are no longer UL listed. Joerg's low current usage does not sound unreasonable to me. All he has to do is convince his fire marshal. How about hypnotism?

--
bud--
Reply to

Hard wired to a junction box = permanent

Same cord with power receptacle plug still in place = NON-permanent.

It really is just that simple.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Stecken diener handen im pocketen und watchen dem blinkenlighten.

Reply to
JosephKK

also used drywall is hard to re-hang, and it's impossible to get a good finish without much paint and plaster,

get some really really long drill bits and come down from above.

(next you'll tell me above is the wrong end of a kliplock roof...)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

They make some really long bits just for that purpose.

My son has a complete set with extenders... very handy when we pulled CAT-5 thru this house 13 years ago.

...Jim Thompson

Plonk!

Reply to
Chris Jones

I'll thank you to refrain from putting your words in my mouth.

Otherwise, FOAD.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise