ple.

just a machine

e,

ie,

we are 'in control'

ly know,

or something

eel in

Selection does not only have to be by killing. We are making selections all the time when they decide who to mate with.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

a machine

are 'in control'

know,

something

in

vaccines and vitamins and improved agriculture. That reduces selection pressure.

Finally you say something that makes sense.

John

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:23:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

To put it in perspective, imagine you arriving on a planet of Apes, (not unlike the movie, but less advanced of course), and one of those even managed to communicate to you : 'we are a valuable resource'. That would mean to us: new laboratory animals, new things to look at in the zoo, maybe organ harvesting, testing the latest shampoo on them, infecting them with aids and testing the latest antidotes, you cannot think of something and it is done. Sure there would perhaps be the occasional scientist who would keep a few for experiments, and treat them well.

You know - stupidity- is what killed the cockroach that came out from under the wood. To get trampled on. And all this assumes a *very small* difference in evolution. How do I treat ants? I kill those. Any means available, they tried to enter my place once, now they stay outside, they have learned. To be safe from extra terrestrial threats we better lay low, and not have those huge beacons. Not that our beacons have gotten very far yet, only a few years radio, so many lightyears, and the signals are very weak. But the clock ticks, the signals go further and further. Ooops, a human nest, let's blow it up before they develop to the point of becoming a threat. (Ming the Emperor). Maybe none of this makes sense to you, but in you pseudo scientific tower the view out of the reality windows is not so good. Welcome to the jungle.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If dynamic range is an issue, then both output intercept and nf need to be considered. In most high performance amp stages dynamic range is a design parameter. The gain placement will be a design function based on the system requirements.

Treat the DC component as an offset with in your dynamic range. RF stages are generally always AC coupled.

The short answer is yes, where you place the gain matters for various reasons.

jim

Political correctness is causing us to evolve backwards. Protecting the stupid and negligent from the consequences of their stupid and negligent actions only increases the number of stupid and negligent people, a violation of the Darwin Effect.

Speaking of which:

Sleeping on the RR tracks? Throw a little chlorine in the gene pool!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

We don't protect them all that effectively, and by no means all stupidity and negligence can be blamed on heritable defects; exposure to excessive amounts of ethanol and other mind-bending drugs can induce stupidity and negligence in what might have been previously perfectly sound minds.

Or bring back prohibition ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

loman

Slo=3D

Actually, you've listed what it would mean to you, and your list tells us that you aren't into communication, and haven't learned a thing from anybody else at any point in your career.

Since human evolution is all about improving cooperation and collaboration, you've established that your particular twig of the evolutionary tree is pushing out into areas that aren't occupied by humans (who wouldn't like the neighborhood at all).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:44:38 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Apart from your usual insult jive, you say nothing here, neither refute any of my arguments. I must therefore conclude that your brain died in elementary school. Maybe your self overestimating ego could contact professor Hawkins, and explain your diatribe to him.

And if human evolution is about cooperation and collaboration, that is still within the human group, something that did not register in your last dead brain cell it seems. Those studies have been done, this was not about humans, but about aliens treating humans, so you change subject (how could you stay on a subject without functioning memory). Well you are excused, I have read that lack of oxygen does really strange things to a persons abilities, so maybe your artificial heart needs a new battery, or something like that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He's just here to insult everyone and declare his own intellectual and cultural superiority. That's his entire purpose in life. Stupid and sad and very, very oxymoronic.

John

Would that be Hawking?

Or Dawkins ;-)

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

I thought Oxymoron was pimple cream for retarded people. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Oxydental, a brand of bad toothpaste.

John

Dawkins was on O'Reilly (Fox) a few days ago. What a monumentally rude pompous asshole! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

The Ground Zero Mosque IS Appropriate When Renamed... The Obama Monument to American Impotence

Jim Thompson a écrit :

Nah, the TV was turned off and 't was your reflection on the CRT...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

On a sunny day (Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:50:27 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Yes, Hawking, he was on TV in the weekend talking about aliens. If you are in the UK, the next program is Saturday from 8 to 9 in the evening on C4, in that the will be talking about time travel, wormholes, etc. That is at 21:00-22:00 CET for satellite users on the continent. I think it is a series of 3 programs.

I found his talk inspiring.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hmm, that's too bad. Usually he's respectable, see e.g.,

where both of them have an entirely reasonable conversation even though they disagree.

(The tag line is bogus -- O'Reilly certainly isn't scared of Dawkins.)

See the "Bill O'Reilly Flips Out" video there if you want to see Bill behaving less than respectably. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Read O'Reilly's "A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity". He was wilder than I as a youth ;-) ...Jim Thompson

       The Ground Zero Mosque IS Appropriate When Renamed...
            The Obama Monument to American Impotence

loman

l S=3D

:

ill=3D

)

Adducing the film "The Planet of the Apes" constitutes an argument?

You'd like to think that. Self-serving delusions are popular around here.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Sloman

ll S=3D

e:

Bill=3D

:

-)

John is peculiary sensitive to comments that undermine his own sense of intellectual and cultural superiority. The irritation they cause him blind him to my other contributions

That's John's egocentric impression.

Since he is obviously projecting his own frustrations onto me, it is rather sad.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Great book. We listened to the audio book on a vacation a while back. We laughed all the way. Kept me awake, too.

Reply to
krw