Where is the gain?

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Where is the schematic ?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

It got taxed away to finance Obamacare.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try the link again. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

How can V(GATE) go to 8V when the circuit only has a 3.8V supply?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You, of all people, don't recognize a boost converter ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

;-)

Except it's not funny. There are all kinds of taxes hidden in that monster :-( ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Oh, yeah, didn't see that you are switching with 5nsec transitions. That's awfully small print on the schematic.

The rest is a follower which means at the small load resistance eventually QM2 goes into max conduction. So what's the problem?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I know :-(

And of course, once it collapes, the taxes will not go away. My former employer is already packing up and leaving the country.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Some lurkers have claimed Miller "gain" around the upper FET. ...Jim Thompson

I can see where the gain is no problem. The voltage gain is provided by QM3. This is pretty much your "high side driver" operated in the linear zone. (kinda sounds like a movie eh ?)

One thing though, I see no prctical purpose for DM2. If the thing is linear it just conducts all the time so why have it ?

Now that I think of it, you could probably eliminate it in the "high side driver" as well.

Reply to
jurb6006

No, it is not operating in the linear zone.

Reply to
John S

This is mostly a semantic issue, of course. The distinction among the CS, CD, CG configurations is just which terminal you choose to use for the reference voltage.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yep. Taking Miller's name in vain ;-)

The "distinction" is that the various capacitances don't exist as separate entities... they're a fiction created by model makers.

What configuration ends up with multiplication of the "real" capacitance ?? ...Jim Thompson

And it's got nothin' to do with capacitance ...

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like it certainly could though, with the lower bandwidth limit set by L1.

Reply to
jurb6006

That reminds me, I'm out of both Drambuie and Jack Daniels ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Like I said, they're all the same except for what you call ground. Back in the day, the Miller effect was surprising enough that the guy's name is still attached to it, what, 90 years later? Then it was used in TVs and scopes for decades, with an external capacitor.

Whether you call it multiplication depends on what you think the AC input is: v_gs or v_dg. Semantics.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Make that 95 years.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Client: "But you couldn't have done this all by yourself, could you? Who was your assistant?" ... "My assistant? Jose Cuervo."