MultiMeter

This is *not* from Deal Extreme

I've had this for a few weeks now and it is magic. Measures everything, accurate (as far as I can tell - claims 0.025% basic DC) and feels very solid - great to hold. It can substitute for a bench-top DMM or a general purpose fault finding hand held - you can switch the resolution down from a 40,000 count to a 4,000 count for faster results - which is great for trouble shooting.

I haven't tried the usb - pc interface and software yet.

It came with an external lead to measure mains power - but with euro fittings.

OK that's my last product endorsement for the month.

Reply to
David Eather

On an Email group I monitor one member was looking for a DC voltmeter with a USB interface and compatible with Linux. Hence does the UT71e have a true USB interface? Does the software work with Linux? If it is convenient please post your comments abut the UT71e's PC interface and the software,

I notice there are a lot of voltmeters with a USB interface but they only come with Windows software. The only possible exception I found was the UT61e. However, the information in the data sheets was so skimpy one couldn't be sure what he was buying. Hence it would be cool to get comments from a person who owns a similar instrument.

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818

It does not specify A/C voltage ranges. Also, what on earth is "Input Impedance for DC Voltage Measurement DC 200mV : Around 2.5GW All Other Ranges : 10MW" supposed to mean? W means ohms?

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I'd guess, yes. There are systems where [meta]+[roman character] is used to indicate the corresponding Greek symbol. Mathcad, for one, although it reverses the order to W + Ctrl-G to get a capital omega.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

That's a heck of a lot of functionality for the money. A comparable fluke is 4x the cost.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

And of course now that I am aware of it, I've seen it a couple of other places - mainly the Frys website.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Yep - I'm very happy. I used to have a Fluke 12 until I needed to measure some current - since then I've been using a variety of no name meters. This one is excellent!

Reply to
David Eather

It sets up as a USB com port / serial port thing - no sleep I can't remember the right term for it. The software is only Windows but considering how it sets up a cleaver guy with too much times on his hands could do a similar program in C++ for Linux.

Reply to
David Eather

It sets up as a CDC device.

BTW:

Microchip USB to serial converter $1.42 in 1000's looks similar in capability to FTDI

David Eather

Yes it does, but you have to scroll way down to find it. AC Voltage 4V/40V/400V/1000V

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

IOW, C++ programmers are ax murderers?

Couldn't agree more ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I especially like that ten mega-watt input impedance on most DC ranges; good enough to fry anything.. The 2.5 GigaWatt range is overkill..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes; unfortunately, it is WELL KNOWN that the Greek Omega symbol gets "converted" to "W" and the stupid spec writers refuse to use either the spelling "ohms" or an artwork nonfont glyph that cannot be "converted". This is so common that it is a miracle that this stupidity has not started a war..

Reply to
Robert Baer

nds

I'm sure he meant THIS:

Mind you, that predates LCD readouts by a little bit.

mike

Reply to
m II

TYPO! TYPO! ... I'm sure a clever guy ...

Reply to
David Eather

Where did you find plug adapters for use with the power adapter and power strip that comes with the UT71?

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818