MSOP to SO8 adapter

This lets us drop another opamp into an LT1124 SO8 footprint. LT1124 has a nonstandard pinout, so few subs are available.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Did that come straight from the board house that way? If so, did they whine much about it? If not, what did you get, and what did you do to it?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

They came just like that, no whining. We ordered 100 and they shipped us a couple hundred.

We thought they might be panelized, like these older ones,

but they routed them individually, somehow.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why didn't you use flex?

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Would that be better?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I fitted some mod boards to some telecoms gear back in the 90s. Similar to your little board but it used a flex substrate.

I cant remember whose gear it was, probably Nokia or Siemens. It worked ok out.

Reply to
DTJ

It'd be thinner. It looks kind of chunky in FR4. On a PCB of that size flex should be rigid enough. plus you can trim flex with scissors

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

The 'thick' board makes for a nice strong solder fillet which is very easy to do, at least manually.

I used this 'half PTH' method before, except in my case, the MSOP was mounted upside-down in a routed rectangular hole. If you're going to mess-up, do it properly.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Nice. Layout person now remembers to look for "top view" label. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My worst was a 208 pin 0.4mm pitch QFP that I decided should be 0.5mm :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I saw one like that once, at a customer site. The FPGA was sitting on a golf-ball sized nest of red wires.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 8. oktober 2014 21.03.21 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

We've gotten the footprint for a 676 pin FPGA upside-down once, I wouldn't try to rework that

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In fact I attempted that, it was in the days when a 4-layer board was very expensive for us. But soldering 208 wires at 0.4mm was beyond even my - extensive - expertise at bodging.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

google found a few pics

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Darn, now you've put me off my afternoon banana.

Wow, a dead-bug FPGA.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How would one possibly do that? (Not that I ever hope to need to!)

--
Silvar Beitel
Reply to

Wow, The PCB of Cthulhu!