Mouse IRLEDs.

A very old optical mouse I took apart had one water clear IRLED and one with a near cyan tint.

Does anyone know the significance of this difference in appearance?

TIA.

Reply to
ian field

"ian field" wrote in news:UgiJl.30267$a% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.ams:

In green DPSS lasers the IR blocking filter is a sort of cyan colour. While an IR LED shouldn't be blocking IR entirely, it might have used a similar filter to get a narrower IR spectrum than they'd otherwise get. This might improve noise immunity in older systems made when LED's usually had broader spectra than current new ones do.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I've seen a similarly tinted LED in a payphone but it wasn't obvious what the opto-pair did as the payphone had been run over (several times) by construction site vehicles.

Reply to
ian field

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:18:42 +0100, "ian field" put finger to keyboard and composed:

You can get some detailed information (schematics, parts lists, operational description, user manual, internal/external photos) here:

For example, put "Memorex" in the Applicant Name box, and select a Grant Date Range of 01/01/2000 to 04/27/2009.

You will see 4 results for Memorex wireless optical mice.

I have a very old Mouse Systems model M411 serial optical mouse which uses a special metal tablet. It is covered by US patents 4364035 and

4546347.

The patent documents describe how it works:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar