Motorola AN-410 wanted

ftp://ftp.rowland.org/pub/hill/ with various subfolders. And I've also used ftp://ftp.rowland.org/pub/EE-Lab/

Some of those folders are temporary and should probably be deleted at some future date. Some have been emptied already. OTOH, rapidly-increasing hard-drive size is reducing the motivation to go back and do cleanup.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Barry Lennox wrote in the thread, Motorola AN-410 wanted,

Barry has scanned the paper, for his jpgs and a pdf, point your browser to ftp://ftp.rowland.org/pub/hill/RF-papers

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The sepia-toned scan appears rather dim when viewed on screen, but it printed acceptably with my monochrome HP5000 printer. Someone may be inclined to process the jpg files for better contrast.

This 1966 paper is interesting in the evolution it reveals in the world of JFETs and MOSFETs in the last 40 years. For example, Rohde uses 2n3822 and 2n3823 JFETs in his sample circuits, but he persists in calling them m.o.s. field-effect transistors, i.e. MOSFETs, a usage that had already been assigned to insulated-gate FETs by 1966 in the industry, IIRC. He also asserts that FETs are better than "transistors" because they have a constant gm vs. Vd, which makes me wonder what transistors he had been exposed to.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

(snip)

I expanded the contrast, cropped the edges, converted to gray scale and saved as GIF, if you would like to see the result.

Reply to
John Popelish

Great, I'll make a pdf and repost it to the ftp site, if you email them to me at hill_at_rowland-dotties-harvard-dots-edu

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Quick and dirty reprocess job posted to ABSE. Sharpened and converted to

1-bit B&W. The .pdf is considerably smaller.

I could possibly do a better job given the time.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Smaller is nice, but not as important as readability. The 1-bit threshold killed most of the already-bad subscripts. How about a grey scale, like John said he used? Were you able to read the subscripts on your computer screen after the early processing steps?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I tried gray scale, and it doesn't look any better than the original RGB

It isn't the 1-bit threshold, so much as sharpening a lossy jpg. There are some low-level artifacts in there that screw things up. That's the problem with jpeg encoding.

Converting the original directly to 1-bit looks even worse :-(

I'll play some more ...

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

See ftp://ftp.rowland.org/pub/hill/RF-papers for the pdf version of John's gifs, Rohde(1966)_The-FET-at-VHF_1.pdf

--
 Thanks,
    - Win