motor

John

I remember when we made them out of nails, masking tape, and hookup wire, and used a No. 6 dry cell. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This is the kind of fun thing that has wasted $thousands in engineer's and scientist's time. It's a bit tricky to get going, and perhaps trickier to explain rigorously.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The "tricky" part of the explanation must be the "rigorous" part. To my technician's eye, it's blatantly obvious. The electrons come out of the negative terminal of the battery, go through the magnet to the wires, where they create a magnetic field as they flow through the loops to the positive terminal of the battery. This interacts with the magnetic field from the magnet and "pushes" the loop around. Or pulls, if you're into conventional current. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The homopolar motor is interesting, but the homopolar generator more so IMO. Massive direct currents can be produced from suitably designed generators - the Wikipedia article is good.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

You're a little late, it's been around quite a while, as has the ball bearing motor.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

The Marinov motor is interesting, I first saw it in Wireless World sometime last century. As I recall, there was much discussion about it, but it fairly obviously works by localised thermal expansion of ball bearings caused by the large current flowing through a relatively small contact area.

I still can't think of any useful application where one would need a very inefficient motor with indeterminate direction needing large currents and having a small duty cycle.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

(...)

MG windshield wipers?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Lucas, Prince of Darkness ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

-- [On the Road, in New York]

| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Sloman, Prince of Dorkiness!

Michael A. Terrell