MOSFET Transconductance vs Drain Current

This question is really prompted by the discussion on the thread "How to Bias a CS mosfet." In playing around with the possibilities, I noticed that the MOSFET had an unreasonably high (ISTM) small-signal gain. So, I put most everything about biasing exactly to 1/2 Vdd aside to investigate.

In the LTSpice circuit listed below, I can measure a small-signal gain of about 690. On the few data sheets I've found them, the transfer characteristics seem to flatten out at low drain currents implying no such thing.

Question: Does this mean that spice simulations do not work at low MOSFET drain currents?

Thanks, John S

Reply to
John S

Well, of course, I forgot to post the spice list:

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 416 -176 240 -176 WIRE 240 -144 240 -176 WIRE 416 -144 416 -176 WIRE 416 -48 416 -64 WIRE 64 -16 -96 -16 WIRE 96 -16 64 -16 WIRE 240 -16 240 -64 WIRE 240 -16 176 -16 WIRE -96 0 -96 -16 WIRE 64 16 64 -16 WIRE 240 32 240 -16 WIRE -96 80 -96 64 WIRE 240 96 240 32 WIRE -80 176 -96 176 WIRE -32 176 -80 176 WIRE 64 176 64 96 WIRE 64 176 32 176 WIRE 112 176 64 176 WIRE 192 176 112 176 WIRE 64 208 64 176 WIRE 240 208 240 192 WIRE -96 224 -96 176 WIRE 64 304 64 288 WIRE 240 304 240 288 WIRE -96 320 -96 304 FLAG 240 304 0 FLAG -96 320 0 FLAG 416 -48 0 FLAG 64 304 0 FLAG 240 32 d FLAG 112 176 g FLAG -80 176 source FLAG -96 80 0 SYMBOL nmos 192 96 R0 SYMATTR InstName M1 SYMATTR Value BSZ0920NS SYMBOL res 224 -160 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 1k SYMBOL voltage 416 -160 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 12 SYMBOL voltage -96 208 R0 WINDOW 123 40 59 Left 0 WINDOW 39 24 44 Left 0 WINDOW 3 -229 119 Left 0 SYMATTR Value2 AC 1m SYMATTR Value SINE(0 .001 1000) SYMATTR InstName V2 SYMBOL res 192 -32 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 5meg SYMBOL cap -32 192 R270 WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 0 WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 1µ SYMBOL res 48 192 R0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 5.1meg SYMBOL res 224 192 R0 SYMATTR InstName R4 SYMATTR Value .0001 SYMBOL res 80 112 R180 WINDOW 0 36 76 Left 0 WINDOW 3 36 40 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName R5 SYMATTR Value 5meg SYMBOL cap -112 0 R0 SYMATTR InstName C4 SYMATTR Value 1µ TEXT -192 360 Left 0 !;op TEXT -336 232 Left 0 !.ac dec 1e4 20 20k TEXT -376 -8 Left 0 !;tran 0 .2 .01 1u

Reply to
John S

The voltage gain equals the transconductance times the parallel combination of the drain load resistance and the drain resistance, which is 1/(partial dI_D / dV_DS) with V_GS held constant.

And MOSFETs don't have the simple device physics of BJTs, so it's harder to make good models, especially over a wide range of conditions.

I don't use many of them as linear amplifiers, so I don't think I've ever SPICEd one that way, but at least some of the circuits-course and AoE tricks that work with JFETs don't with MOSFETs--specifically, adding half of V_DS to V_GS. That linearizes a JFET variable resistor reasonably well, but getting the same effect with a 2N7002 requires adding 2*V_GS rather than 0.5*V_GS. (I posted some measurements of that a year or so ago in this august forum.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If you replace the drain load with a 6 ma current source, and bump up the feedback resistors, the gain increases to 3200. Which makes me suspect the fet model.

Get a real fet and try it.

John

Most Spice MOSFET models don't work properly in the subthreshold region. (Note, for power MOSFETs, this region continues up to fairly-high currents, because the current density is still quite low, given the high currents the parts are meant to handle.) However, if the Spice models did work properly in the subthreshold region, they'd show high gain, approaching or maybe exceeding that of a BJT.

For a BJT, g_m is proportional to current, g_m = Ic/V_T, until some internal resistances dominate at high current densities. V_T = kT/q = 25mV at room temp.

A MOSFET's g_m in the subthreshold region is also usually proportional to current: g_m = Ic/ n V_T, where n ranges from 2 to 5, etc. (At higher currents, g_m ~ sqrt Id.)

Assuming high load resistances, e.g., a current source, we can derive Gmax = g_m / g_os. That 2nd term is the output conductance = 1 / output-resistance. Most MOSFETs have remarkably-low output conductance, even much better than most BJTs (Another way of saying this is that they have very high Early voltages, V_A.) For many parts, Gmax doesn't change much with current, so it's a more useful parameter to evaluate this scene than g_os.

All this said, I suspect your value of G=690 wouldn't hold up with bench measurements. Another point I make all the time is, validate your Spice models with bench measurements before you give them any credence.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Nah, for a given drain current its transconductance can approach but not exceed the BJT's, because the fundamental limit of transconductance is set by the thermal spreading of the Fermi level, and BJTs achieve that limit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply otherwise, that's why I said n = 2 or higher. However, for a MOSFET with a fairly high g_m, close to a BJT, and a much better g_os than the BJT, as most have, I'm theorizing that it could have a higher Gmax.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I suppose that's conceivable, if you get to pick both the FET and the BJT. I'd like to know about it, if so!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, Win, I would have done so (without posting) if I had one of the devices that LTSpice has. I thought asking was faster than ordering devices.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

A year or so ago I evaluated several brands for good modeling sub-threshold. It's likely still on my website. I'll try to remember what I called it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Il Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:00:26 -0400, Phil Hobbs ha scritto:

There should be a way to pull the area factor in as well..I don't have the theory fresh in mind but you can write a mos' gm as

gm = 2*Id/(Vgs-Vth)

which implies that you can make your W/L bigger to have Vgs -> Vth and increase gm arbitrarily. Surely below you can get Vgs-Vth below 50mV. This doesn't worry me too much anyways, because increasing the area you also slow down the transistor, which reminds you that the old GBW product should be the testbench.

Frustra fit per plura quod fieri potest per pauciora
Reply to
Michele Ancis

Here you go...

...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Thanks, Jim.

It will take my old brain some time to digest this, but I appreciate your input very much.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

Wow! It looks like the closer to zero Id it gets, the greater is dId/dVgs (Gm).

Yes?

John S

Reply to
John S

Is SPICE capabable of producing these quantities?

John S

Reply to
John S

I guess that was an ill-formed question.

I understand what you are saying. What I really want to know is, can I trust any of the results that you mention at those low drain currents?

John S

Reply to
John S

Yes, that is the ultimate answer. However, I do not have the devices available to LTSpice and I thought I could get the answer here without waiting for delivery. Poor excuse, perhaps. But I thought it worthwhile asking.

John S

Reply to
John S

Actually, I don't want to replace the drain load with a current source. Will you then no longer suspect the FET model?

John S

Reply to
John S

I was careful to say, "for a given drain current", because that's what governs the theoretical limit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Very possibly not. MOSFETs, by and large, are used for switching applications, and as such the SPICE models really only need to work when the thing is on or off, and sorta-kinda get things right in that swipe in the middle where things are transitioning.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to