MOSFET Question

peeps? You mean perps?

We need the part number. It should be printed on the part.

The driver has to deal with the FET's gate capacitance, which will be doubled with your trick. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained! You guys are already blowing out your power MOSFETs, why not go for the drivers as well? What's the p/n of the driver / controller chip? What frequency is it running at (get out your scope).

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi guys -

First time posting here.

I'm doing some PC overclocking & have been finding my cpu pwr FETs are really sizzlin'! I don't have the equipment to get a temp reading, but several ppl on an overclocking forum I'm a member of, have already lost some motherboards due to blowing a FET. We're overclocking 1st generation Intel P4 Prescott cpu's, and they extremely power hungry. Some peeps have resorted to adding heat sinks to their FETs, with varying success.

I don't have the PN or datasheet handy; Sorry. They're 3P (S-G-D) power MOSFETS w/a high impedance gate.

I was wondering: Since the gate is a very high impedance, can MOSFETs be 'paralleled up' if they are identical components? IOW, I'm considering simply soldering an identical FET to the legs of the original FETs, in a pin-to-pin manner. This would be an attempt to loadshare using additional FETs.

It would seem to me the only concern would be if the device driving the gates can provide enough gate current for the original & additional FET, in each instance.

Anyone have any opinions???

TIA

Strat

Reply to
Stratcat

some

resorted

Frankly I'd start there too! No need to over-engineer it, right? Besides that: More info is needed...

/A

Reply to
Anders F

Doubling up mosfets will present double the gate capacitance to the driver chip which may actually cause more problems ! The two devices will be close together so you'll get 'thermal masking' that won't actually reduce the operational temp that much.

A decent heatsink is simple and effective. It need not be large or require a fan. Any transistor ( including mosfets ) can only safely dissipate a fraction of its potential capability without one.

If there's room around the device a simple 'clip on' heatsink may do the job.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear